Laptop doesn't start, only led power blink once

erebros

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I have an msi GT70 and suddenly there was a directx error and my laptop got bluescreen and turned off now i can't turn on the laptop and everytime i press the power button it just blinks led on the power button for one second and nothing else happens

I tried removing the battery/charger and holding the power button for a minute and it doesn't work too. Need help

Solution
I did some research on your issue. A lot of people are experiencing the same exact thing. To be it sounded like a GPU issue or a bad motherboard.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1864060/msi-gt70-turn.html

If you read that, the guy at the bottom suggests taking the laptop apart and replacing the thermal paste on the GPU and the CPU. That actually sounds like a great idea to me. I hope that will fix your issue.

A lot of times computer manufactures use cheap paste. As it heats up, it crumbles and disintegrates. The computer will not boot up as a safety mechanism shutting it off to prevent damage to the parts.

If this is the first time that you have taken something like this apart, it is possible to do it right the first time...

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
What is the model of the laptop? About how old is it? Have you tried doing any repairs to it so far?

When the computer power ups is there any information displayed on the screen at any point? The screens that show in the beginning might very well flash with some sort of information.

I have a feeling this could be some sort of a hardware issue with your gt70 card. I would suggest plugging it into an external monitor and seeing if that allows you to see the screen. If you arent sure how to do this, please reply with the information above and we will get the instructions on how to do it.

These issues can often be software related, but unfortunately it does sound like a hardware issue. We will need some more time and info to diagnose and help you repair the issue.

erebros

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
gt70 0nc around 3 years old and no screen information at all, haven't tried any repair just cleaning dust and stuffs. The power led just blink once, same with keyboard led and nothing else happens when trying to turn it on.
I dont think the screen could be the problem and i do not have external monitor at the moment.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I did some research on your issue. A lot of people are experiencing the same exact thing. To be it sounded like a GPU issue or a bad motherboard.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1864060/msi-gt70-turn.html

If you read that, the guy at the bottom suggests taking the laptop apart and replacing the thermal paste on the GPU and the CPU. That actually sounds like a great idea to me. I hope that will fix your issue.

A lot of times computer manufactures use cheap paste. As it heats up, it crumbles and disintegrates. The computer will not boot up as a safety mechanism shutting it off to prevent damage to the parts.

If this is the first time that you have taken something like this apart, it is possible to do it right the first time. Take pictures each step that you dismantle. I would suggest also taking a piece of paper for each "layer" of laptop and draw a rough sketch of the holes that the screws came out of and tape the screw to that hole. That way you put each screw back in the proper hole. There are sometimes different sizes. I have seen a lot of techs that take computers apart for a living that have screws left over and have screws that fit in some holes, but not others. Take it one step at a time, go slow.

If you decide to do this, use good thermal paste. Use just the right amount. Depending on the size of your GPU and CPU contact points you want just enough to cover the flat surface without spilling over onto the other parts.

Lastly, look up on youtube for the instructions to dismantle your laptop to clean it and replace the CPU and GPU paste.

One last question also -- does the computer fan turn on when you press the power button, or am I to assume that the computer shuts off as soon as you press the power button (and it blinks twice?)

Solution

pattyharvey64

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017