Laptop drastically slowed down

Thealchemistx

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
Long story short,have a laptop specifically acer aspire 5750g,been with me for about 5 years now and boy has the poor thing been trough a lot.Everything from turning on the laptop ,loading the basic programs to turning on complex software has become a task that takes ages to compete.
-Is there perhaps any software i can use to determine what piece of hardware might be faulty?
-perhaps a suggested upgrade considering the hard drive and ram?
-could the battery be the problem since its current state is terrible(cant power the laptop more than 20 min standing idle)(also the laptop is slow when being plugged in for charging so the battery might not be a direct source of problems)
-any additional suggestions considering the current state of the laptop

PS. the laptop has had a rather large temperature increase since i first got it

Solution
I am sure the cooling system needs a good cleaning, blowing it out with air can help but nothing is as good as actually taking it apart and cleaning it manually, a dirty cooling system can cause the cpu to run slow because it will throttle back the speed to keep it from overheating. Windows tends to get slower and slower over time so doing a fresh installation of Windows could help quite a bit. More RAM could help but if the cpu is throttling it wont help much at all.
Mar 30, 2015
Probably a number of factors. I would A) blow compressed air through the laptop, B) get an SSD, C) reinstall Windows (back up old stuff of course) and if it's still slow D) more RAM if it has 4GB or lower and last resort E) new laptop.

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I am sure the cooling system needs a good cleaning, blowing it out with air can help but nothing is as good as actually taking it apart and cleaning it manually, a dirty cooling system can cause the cpu to run slow because it will throttle back the speed to keep it from overheating. Windows tends to get slower and slower over time so doing a fresh installation of Windows could help quite a bit. More RAM could help but if the cpu is throttling it wont help much at all.

Solution

Thealchemistx

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
ok,compressed air i do have but resorting to opening the laptop was not the first option on my list but it shall be done,worry not i do have the required tools and knowledge to do it,the windows have been reinstalled recently so that is out of the question,ssd shall come in due time but i am not to rush buying a new laptop since it is not my primary pc as i have a desktop that is rather beastly just wanted to know are there any procedures or standard problems that occur in aging laptops.
I am to properly clean it inside out and most probably replace the hard drive and battery.
If there are any additional suggestions perhaps for running any tests to see the cause of the risen temperature of the laptop,possible hard drive slow downs and other things please ,do enlist.

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Get download AIDIA 64 Extreme http://www.aida64.com/downloads and you can use the trail edition for 30 days. It has a system stability test listed under the "tools" section that should tell you if you cpu is throttling. Also you can usually find youtube videos of most laptops being taken apart so that might be helpful.