Laptop eGPU compatibility

Mar 7, 2018
I have an ASUS Q524U laptop with a GTX 940MX. It's more than great compared to integrated graphics. However, PUBG with the boys isn't as much fun at 30 fps.
I read through the forums and websites looking for my specific model, but wasn't able to find anything. Any chance that someone on here could point me in the right direction?

Solution
Do you mean the ASUS Q524UQ?

If so, then it appears your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port (two PCIe lanes) which means it is possible to connect an external GPU case to your laptop. You would need to buy a case and the GPU itself. Click the link below about the 5 best external GPU cases for Thunderbolt 3.

https://www.gamingscan.com/best-external-graphics-card/

Thunderbolt 3 has a max of 4 PCIe lanes, but the vast majority of laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port only uses 2 PCIe lanes. That means it is a bottleneck for powerful GPUs because of limited data transfer. I guess something like a GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti would be the upper limit that I would recommend.
Do you mean the ASUS Q524UQ?

If so, then it appears your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port (two PCIe lanes) which means it is possible to connect an external GPU case to your laptop. You would need to buy a case and the GPU itself. Click the link below about the 5 best external GPU cases for Thunderbolt 3.

https://www.gamingscan.com/best-external-graphics-card/

Thunderbolt 3 has a max of 4 PCIe lanes, but the vast majority of laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port only uses 2 PCIe lanes. That means it is a bottleneck for powerful GPUs because of limited data transfer. I guess something like a GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti would be the upper limit that I would recommend.

Solution
Mar 7, 2018

So are you saying that something like a EXP GDC wouldn't work with my setup? (I'm kind of new to this in case you can't tell)

Anything simplified compared to most forums is GREATLY appreciated.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
The EXP GDC does not not use TB3, it makes you remove your wifi card and install the cables that way. You will have unsightly cables or need to do some work with a Dremel. You will still need a GPU which it supports from what I just saw up to a 750ti. So a PSU, GPU, the EGPU adapter will all be needed.

Mar 7, 2018

Well I have a PSU and GPU, and from what I understand all I would need is a USB wireless network adapter (to replace the wifi card) and the GDC EXP.

Again, I don't fully understand the whole eGPU concept yet.

Using the GDC EXP also requires an external monitor. I could be wrong, but I think the mini PCIe slot for WiFi cards is limited to only one PCIe line so it has even more limited bandwidth compared to an external Thunderbolt 3 GPU dock. The external GPU dock will allow you to use your laptop's screen instead of an external monitor if you wish because Thunderbolt 3 can handle video signals in both directions. However, I am pretty sure I have read that using an external monitor will provide better performance (by 10% or so).

The GDC EXP solution is "messy" because of all the wires, offers lower performance, and the bottom cover must be removed, but it is a cheaper solution. Be aware that the PCIe adapter is not compatible with all laptops because potential space / size issues. An external Thunderbolt 3 GPU dock is certainly more expensive, but provides better performance (2 PCIe lanes vs. 1 PCIe lane), and it is simple to disconnect from your laptop if you need to use the laptop outside of your home.