Laptop fails to recover from Sleep mode, weird vertical lines appear on monitor.

inneruniverse

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Hello. I have the 2016 Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. I went in my order history and this is the link to the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M161UFE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am having a problem where if I manually put the laptop to sleep or I walk away from the laptop and it goes to sleep on its own from being idle, the laptop screen will have vertical lines all over it. I can move the mouse around and instead of a mouse cursor it's a square with more vertical lines in it. I have a picture to show what I mean, I circled in red the mouse cursor.

Ih4HtB2.jpg

Any idea on how I can fix this? I can completely power off the laptop and then start it up again and it will boot normally and the lines won't be there, but if it goes to sleep again it will occur again. It doesn't always happen but I'd say it happens at least 50% of the time if not more. I think it started happening after a windows update but this may be a coincidence. However, it was not happening before the windows update recently that fixed Spectre and Meltdown, so could this possibly be what caused it?

I know a band-aid fix would be to never use sleep mode again and go in to the power saving options and disable sleep mode from occurring, but that's a band-aid fix and doesn't fix the core issue. I have 23 days left of warranty on my laptop so I am considering sending it back to Dell for a repair, but I figured I'd ask here first for advice.

Things I have tried:
-Updating the display driver. This did not work. I used the correct drivers and it gave me an error message saying it could not be updated. I then used Dell's tool to identify the exact drivers needed for my laptop and it turned out to be the same driver I chose. I have the latest drivers from Windows update, windows update does not offer any newer drivers despite the Dell website itself offering new drivers.

-Windows update. I have every update.

-Holding down the 'D' key of the keyboard and then booting the laptop to run the laptop LCD test. I noticed no issues, a bunch of different colors flashed on the screen, no weird vertical lines or anything.

Solution
uninstall the driver and restart.

you can also check if the support site has a previous version of the graphics driver. an older version. check the installtion logs. what errors do you see?

you can also just switch your OS powerplan to high. your HD graphics driver may not work properly at low-power states during sleep mode. this is just a problem prevention solution.

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
this looks like a display driver issue. you will need to visit your laptops support site and download the latest drivers from there. and reinstall in this order.
* Chipset INF driver
* Intel graphics driver

you can also open your device manager. and go to your display driver. right click. rollback. resart.

inneruniverse

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015

My drivers haven't been updated in several months and this problem is only a few days old but I agree updating the driver was the first thing I wanted to try but it wasn't allowing me to do so. Some questions:

I already tried a driver update and it failed. Is this because I did not do the Chipset INF driver first?

Should I be uninstalling the Chipset INF driver, restarting, and then installing the new Chipset INF driver, or should I just go straight to installing the latest Chipset INF without uninstalling the old one first?

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
yes sometimes the version for your UHD graphics driver may not work properly with chipset driver that was installed. have you tried the driver rollback on your display driver? that usually works.

you can also opt to uninstall your display driver. and restart. and windows will automatically reinstall for you.

inneruniverse

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015

Okay I tried to install the latest chipset driver and it worked. However, when I tried to install the latest graphics driver it failed again. I will include images again to show you.

I installed this first. It doesn't say Chipset INF Driver. I'm not sure if this is the one you meant or not:
3a30TgG.png

Then I tried installing this once more:
2tR69hG.png

When it failed it produced this error message:
3jaBuAZ.png

And then after it failed I tried your next suggestion which was to rollback to an earlier driver. However, the rollback option is greyed out and inaccessible:
QNhgYsC.png

Is there anything else I could try or did I make a mistake along the way?

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
uninstall the driver and restart.

you can also check if the support site has a previous version of the graphics driver. an older version. check the installtion logs. what errors do you see?

you can also just switch your OS powerplan to high. your HD graphics driver may not work properly at low-power states during sleep mode. this is just a problem prevention solution.

Solution

inneruniverse

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015

I uninstalled and restarted. Windows replaced it with an older driver but I suspect windows update may force me to get the newer driver again. By newer I mean the one it had before which was newer than this older driver, but not as new as the latest driver. So far it hasn't though so we'll see what happens there. I just put it to sleep and woke it up three times and the problem hasn't occurred. It may have been the drivers after all. I put it to sleep one last time and will leave it that way all night until the morning. If it doesn't happen when I take it out of sleep in the morning it may very well be fixed.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I me be asking for help again sometime today if it happens again. I'll update the thread though if it doesn't happen and choose the best answer to end the signal the problem is solved.