Doosti

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
- Model: HP 655
- Win: 8 Ultimate 64x
- Bios: Latest version

- Issue: Bios warns about cooling system saying it's risky to keep laptop on.

- Observation: Laptop fan works for a sec then stops for 10 (not precise) and this goes on till the temp increases badly.

- Question: Is this a cooling system error? (Didn't overheating damaged Motherboard?) I already cleaned dust from fan and reconnected every wire. But I'm not sure about it (maybe there is a problem with sockets or wires) How can I make sure about everything before paying for new spares? Is it reliable and economic to fix a laptop?

- Apology: For my bad English (It is not my mother tounge) / For making it too long / For lack of knowlege.

Excuse me and thanks for your guidance.

Solution

Doosti

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Hi,
Fan spins with a light touch of finger (really smooth rotation);
In my town there is no one to do this. I have to take my laptop to the capital. That's why I'm asking for a solution to do at home by myself. BTW, I appreciate your help :) Any other opinions?

salerhino

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Are you able to replace it anyway?
With some second hand fan with same dimensions?
That would be lot less work than openning it and oiling it with not as good as machine oil.

Doosti

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Of course @salerhino
But I want to make sure that there is no other damages caused by overheating (i.e. Motherboard)
What if I buy a fan and find out that it is not the broken part?!
I will give it a try if I find the same or similar fan.
Currently, it is hard to find spare parts of laptop in a small town like where I live in.
Anyway, once more I appreciate your help.

The other solutions mentioned by dear community members are the very first things that I've tried.

And it's a very kind of you guys to share your knowledge about this issue. Maybe it works for someone else with the same problem.

And I'm not pretty sure about buying a cool pad. It is not a good idea. Because it cannot cool inner parts like "Heat Sink" as well as the CPU fan do. And If I find a powerful one, it is more expensive than an small CPU fan which consumes less power and space.

Doosti

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
The main question is: "Can I make sure that it is the fan which is broken, not the Motherboard?"

"Does the problem resolves completely by buying a new fan?"

salerhino

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Well,thermal pad is just + if you have it(if you understand me, it is not must have but "good to have").
And If you don't turn on laptop you can't know if motherboard is damaged -> and you can't turn it on because of overheating problems , and simply to not make things even worse.
So that is why you should carry it to PC repair shop and let them test it with their fan and tell you if something is fried.
That is the safest bet you can make and it will cost you less than buying CPU cooler and/or thermal pad just to realise that CPU/MOBO is dead.

Solution

Doosti

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
OK, sorry for misunderstanding. So you mean if I can use my PC, the Motherboard is fine? Because I've tested it already. I put my laptop in front of cooler vent and turn it on. But I guess there is a chipset related to fan that is malfunctioning, or maybe a capicator which prevents cooling system work properly but lets the other things work.

salerhino

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah motherboard works fine then, only suspicious thing to me arent capacitors it's either fan itself or some software issue.
I would download program named CPUFAN and set fan speed to 100% to determine if it is really the problem.