laptop freezes when booting

DuaneWhitney

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
My laptop [Windows 10] recently has been freezing on the boot screen "ASUS in search of incredible". It's a ZX53VW with a SSD drive, less than 6 months old and haven't made any hardware changes. The freeze occurs less than 1 second into the boot.

I'm (typically) unable to access bios with any of the function keys. 'escape' occasionally does it (in about 40 or 50 attempts). When I am able to get into bios, I can to boot windows from there and the os seems to behave normally. however if i reboot from windows, i get the same freezing behavior.

I reset the OS (which re-installed windows and wiped installed apps, but may have the same drivers), and reset bios to defaults. I'm still getting the freezing behavior. Prior to that, I removed most of my installed programs with no effect.

My first guess is a driver issue that's hanging up the boot process, rather than hardware (since windows seems to work properly if I manage to get that far). Asus hasn't been able to help yet, but is early in the process.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Duane.