Laptop HDD makes loud whirring

maercu749

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
I bought a new laptop, ASUS A455LNB less than two weeks ago. The machine worked good until tonight it makes a loud whirring noise. As I checked, the noise comes from the HDD. Disk checks said nothing is wrong with my HDD and it worked perfectly barring the mildly loud noise, but when I start a demanding software like starting AutoCAD or playing Skyrim the noise got louder. The HDD is still 85% empty. What might cause the problem?

Thanks in advance

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
HDD may be on its way to failing, Backup all data soon as you can and prepare for replacement. Contact the seller/manufacturer if bought recently/under warranty.

Are you sure it is you hard drive and not a fan?
Different HDD manufacturers also provide samples of different sounds produced by failing HDD's to help identify different issues there may be.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039654/the-sounds-of-a-sick-pc-listen-to-the-noises-that-could-mean-bad-news.html
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/sounds-you-dont-want-hear-failing-hard-drives.htm

maercu749

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015

I forgot that the fan might be the source, but if so, how do I fix it?

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Web search the laptop model for instructions on how to open/dismantle it to get to the parts. Or do so if you feel comfortable and adventurous. Alternative - take to a repair desk.

First thing to try is cleaning out dust if there is a lot, which you'll want t odo anyway since you've opened it up. If you know the basic wiring of usb's, you can test the fan externally or just replace the fan anyway.

If it does turn out to be the HDD, easy to replace but make sure your backup includes all drivers required for your laptop, alternatively, the disk can be cloned using a cloning caddy - e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D1NR9MA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

The HDD sounds like it is slowly failing!

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
In most cases, HDD would make a clicking type sound, Fans give off a "whirring" sound.

In many cases, S.M.A.R.T. HDD checking tools can read the drive to be good but still end up failing, so best to backup data as said previously.

If it really is more like a whirring sound, you may be able to notice your fans spinning faster by placing your had over the exhaust vents and "feeling" the air exhaust faster. If you motherboard has sensors to monitor fan speed/temperature, you can use a tool like SpeedFan (simple) or HWMonitor (more detailed) to see if it really is just the fan spinning faster during intensive tasks such as aforementioned AutoCAD/Gaming heating up your hardware and needing to increase fan speeds.
- These are temperature/fan speed monitoring tools and the latter extends to voltages/more details e.t.c.
The whirring could just mean
(a) you need to clear out dust
(b) fans are failing and need to be replaced - this could be the cpu/gpu fan or just the exhaust fan

Either way, best to backup your data whether it's the HDD or the fans and;
(a) contact the place you bought it from if still under warranty/guarantee period, for them to look at it
(b) take it to an IT Repair Desk/Service for them to check it out
(c) find guides online and try clean out dust yourself (Canned air-dusters may help but rarely help when the issue is this bad)
(d) replace the fans and/or HDD

If you do go for a DIY approach;
Most laptops are very similar in the way they are disassembled/reassembled, you may not get the exact model with the exact screw placements but they'll be good enough to follow and apply to your laptop. Find a video online such as "Linked Here" (random clear example of similar Asus model) and follow it as a template/guide on how to dismantle to get to the parts (HDD/Fans) - and remember to replace thermal paste