Laptop (HP Pavilion ab-522TX) does not detect TV when connected via HDMI cable.

Vaibhav Mullick

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
Laptop (HP Pavilion ab-522TX) does not detect TV when connected via HDMI cable. TV detects that HDMI is connected to a source and is waiting for input. But the laptop does not detect the TV.
I have upgraded the drivers of both the onboard graphics as well as the discreet graphics card. However, if I reboot the laptop while it is still connected via HDMI cable to TV, it detects the TV & starts showing display on the TV. Once, I remove the HDMI & Connect it again, while the laptop is still switched on, it stops detecting the TV. I'm not sure what to do. Can someone please help, as I dont want to reboot the laptop everytime I connect it via HDMI.

Solution
:)... kind of figured it was windows 10 cause I had issues when I upgraded an older gateway laptop from 8.1 to windows 10. Prior to the upgrade, everything worked well so the hardware setup, etc was functional, after the upgrade, there were issues with control of the second screen in terms of resolution settings and other things. I could only "duplicate". "extend" or "screen 2 output only" didn't work. I am using a vga to hdmi converter as the laptop doesn't have a imbedded hdmi output port... but as mentioned, this setup worked well in 8.1. I reverted back to 8.1. Problems gone.

Reading around, people appear to be having issues in the area and most point to incompatible drivers. Some indicate that if windows 10 can't...

Vaibhav Mullick

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016

I'm using Windows 10. It does not even detect the 2nd screen, so I cannot select a 2nd screen as output, unless I restart with the HDMI plugged in.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
:)... kind of figured it was windows 10 cause I had issues when I upgraded an older gateway laptop from 8.1 to windows 10. Prior to the upgrade, everything worked well so the hardware setup, etc was functional, after the upgrade, there were issues with control of the second screen in terms of resolution settings and other things. I could only "duplicate". "extend" or "screen 2 output only" didn't work. I am using a vga to hdmi converter as the laptop doesn't have a imbedded hdmi output port... but as mentioned, this setup worked well in 8.1. I reverted back to 8.1. Problems gone.

Reading around, people appear to be having issues in the area and most point to incompatible drivers. Some indicate that if windows 10 can't work with the drivers of your particular display / laptop, windows 10 reverts to a basic microsoft monitor driver which does not seem to be a good match. Others indicate similar issues with loss of trackpad functionality (I also have this issue). Anyways, from what I can see in my travels, it appears mostly a laptop issue which I think its probably because that type of computer relies mostly on "combined" processor / display interface as opposed to a regular desktop / tower which will have graphics cards that may have better manufacturer support (not in your case I see). The sad part is that a laptop will be more likely to be used with a 2nd display.... :-(

Related to your particular "recovery" method, have you tried going into the device management area and disabling / enabling display devices / interfaces to see if things resolve themselves without the restart? Lastly, maybe try another cable... and maybe lightly wiggling the existing one to check for a slightly loose connection which can happen with the hdmi connector.

Solution