Laptop Keyboard broken

josh.gillespie1998

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hello,
Ive got a problem with my laptop keyboard. It is not responsive on certain keys. I cleaned the keyboard and checked the connection between motherboard and keyboard. That appears to be configed corectly.
This leads me to think it might be a software problem.
Any ideas? Your help would be much appreciated.

Solution

Looking up your laptop model in a web search on how to replace the keyboard or take it apart will get you the info you need. Or pay someone to do it, should not cost a lot, especially if you buy your keyboard on eBay, they are usually in the $20 range depending on the model. In many laptops you just need to pop a bezel around the keyboard to remove it or just some screws from the bottom. Lenovo ThinkPads are great for this, a few screws and keyboard pops out.
NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

Looking up your laptop model in a web search on how to replace the keyboard or take it apart will get you the info you need. Or pay someone to do it, should not cost a lot, especially if you buy your keyboard on eBay, they are usually in the $20 range depending on the model. In many laptops you just need to pop a bezel around the keyboard to remove it or just some screws from the bottom. Lenovo ThinkPads are great for this, a few screws and keyboard pops out.

Solution