Laptop keyboard suddenly began acting....strange.

Shakuu

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I have a 6 month old laptop running windows 10. Last night AVG froze updating browser settings. The computer was turned off by holding the power button. When the computer started back up, I couldn't type in my password. The keyboard didn't work. I grabbed a USB keyboard and have no problems. Checked laptop keyboard driver, everything is up to date. Checked keyboard settings everything weird is turned off. Nothing was spilled, nothing physically damage (or even moved for that matter.)

Symptoms are weird. If I push keys one a time, even in quick succession, nothing happens--ever. If I hold down certain keys (e.g. I hold down D and C;) and I can type most, but not all, letters normally. Other times I will hold down a letter, and one keystroke on another letter brings up several of the letters extremely quickly. Othertimes I push a bunch of letters and a few letters that were not pushed, but always seem to be near the ones pushed, show up.

I am guessing somehow this thing is fried. Just a shot in the dark to see if anyone has a solution or similar experience.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

The problem may lie with the keyboard itself since you've already tried a USB keyboard which worked just fine. Please do also try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Do test it again after the hard reboot and see if that will solve the problem or not.
- Next to try would be to uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver from Device Manager.
- If the same problem will persist do run System Restore. Restore the laptop to an earlier date when it was working properly.
- Here's how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
- If System Restore will still not work, last option would be to reinstall Windows 10.
- Lastly, if reinstalling Windows 10 will still not work I would suggest replacing the keyboard.

Shakuu

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I didn't have any luck with these, although I did not try re-installing windows.

Actually yesterday it just randomly started working normally after having the laptop off for the night. I had turned it off and taken the battery out several times with no luck. Unfortunately today it stopped working again. Perhaps I will try re-installing windows.