Solved! Laptop LCD issues

PJ2073

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hello,

I have a cheap little Compaq notebook running openSUSE 11.3. The LCD on the notebook constantly flickers, and I mean to the point where the picture becomes just random pixels and completely illegible. However, if I move the screen it will return to normal, then again continue its jumble thing. I have found though that if I open the screen all the way back, it wont jumble and has no issue's whatsoever. This makes me think its a connection issue; some cable loose or dirty etc. I have opened the notebook and checked the motherboard connection as well as checked the inverter. Unplugging, replugging and cleaning the connections hasn't worked.

I haven't plugged the notebook into an external monitor yet, I don't have a TV or a VGA cable, but if necessary will go over to a friends house and check it out. But from what I have mentioned above it would seem to be an inverter, LCD, or connection issue.

Thoughts?

-Thanks in advance
PJ

Solution
If the brightness of the screen doesn't change then the inverter is fine. It is either a loose vga cable or a bad lcd controller board. If its the latter you'll need to replace the screen. Unfortunately I think thats your problem. I would check the vga cable first. Make sure it is plugged in securely then press on it and wiggle it around all throughout to see if the image becomes distorted. If so your cable needs to be replaced.

wstechtoys

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
If the brightness of the screen doesn't change then the inverter is fine. It is either a loose vga cable or a bad lcd controller board. If its the latter you'll need to replace the screen. Unfortunately I think thats your problem. I would check the vga cable first. Make sure it is plugged in securely then press on it and wiggle it around all throughout to see if the image becomes distorted. If so your cable needs to be replaced.

Solution