Laptop Monitor Shutting Down, But sound keeps playing

wolffvel

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
So here's the issue, for some reason, my laptop's monitor shuts down, but the system doesn't seem to reset because I can still hear sounds playing and if I'm on Skype I can still hear and speak to people and they'll respond. It seems to only happen when I'm gaming and in some games it happens randomly but there is one game (Medieval 2 Total war) where it will shutdown in a few seconds EVERY TIME and I'm left with no alternative other than force shutdown. The reason that I put this under CPUs is because is because when I restart my computer, I check the temperatures and the processor goes from the usual 20-24 C (68 F) to 50-60 C (122 F). So my question is:

Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening or have any idea how to solve this?

Any comments are appreciated

popatim

Splendid
Bios runs the cpu at full speed since no power saving features have loaded...

As for your image issue, use a flashlight or something bright and shine it into your screen to see if its just that the backlight went out and there really is still an image there.

What m,ake and model# laptop is this?

Moved this to laptops btw. its not a cpu problem.

wolffvel

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for the replies,

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 8930g-6243 (Sorry for not mentioning that). I have done as suggested, first I used a flashlight to see if it was a back light problem but I couldn't see an image. Next, I hooked it up to my TV with an hdmi cable but the same thing happens, the screen goes black and aftewards the "no signal" sign appears.

popatim

Splendid
Well its certainly an odd one. I was sure it was an inverter board problem (fairly common with that model) but that would leave a very faint image on the screen that you should be able to see with a flashlight. Try again in a dark room?

Try booting up with the external monitor attached just to make sure its working. You want to mirror the desktop if windows asks. And then see if it goes dark when the laptops display does.

wolffvel

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
Hello again, I've hooked the tv, duplicated the displays, started the game, and both go dark at the same time, I did this at night window shades closed and the only light sources were both monitors, processor temp went up 20 degrees after this.