Jul 19, 2018
I bought my new msi laptop few days ago..

Yesterday, i unknowingly connected my laptop charger adapter to a high power supply socket (designed for Air conditioners) [ Rating : 18 Amp, 240 V ,50 hz supply].

The laptop charged perfectly, but when i shifted to another room and connected the laptop to a normal ac supply socket, the laptop didn't charged. Moreover the taskbar even didn't show 'plugged in' notification. The charging led lights didn't glow.

But when i again connected to that 18 Amps high power supply, the laptop was charging perfectly.

After that i checked my adapter input power rating , which was 100-240 V , 1.9 Amps , 50-60Hz.

The current of the AC supply was significantly higher (18 A) than the rated input (1.9A).

I checked with every other socket , but only that high current (designed for ac supply ) was working)

Did i burn / damaged my adapter with that high power supply?? How can i repair that?? Please help me...as i would return to my colllege hostel in few days and there is no high power socket available.

Solution
Ok i think i have found the solution...when i tried to charge my laptop with adapter plug connected to an extension cord..then i found my laptop was charging well while keeping the socket frame upside down....but when i rotated it , it stops charging .Most probably its the issue with the adapter input wire.

As my high power socket is mounted upside down while normal socket is mounted properly on the wall.

Lol , this cheap adapter cord has wasted half of my day, will buy a new cord tomorrow. I was afraid too much, bcs this is my first laptop and also my most expensive gift from my dad.

I thank to the community for the support. Yours precious replies may not have helped me...but i gained a lot of knowledge from this thread. Thank you...

clarkjd

Distinguished

While the high power outlet had 18 amps available, that doesn't mean that it pushed all of those amps into your charger. The 1.9 amps is ALL that the charger will draw, regardless of what is available.

That being said, Your charger should automatically detect the voltage and work with any input voltage between 100 and 240 volts. What is the voltage of the normal household outlet, and why do they have the same connector if the normal one is less voltage?
Generally speaking, if your charger will plug into the outlet without any adapters, then it should work and charge your laptop.

Jul 19, 2018
I live in India , here the normal supply voltage is 230-240 V and frequency is 50 hz . I don't have even a voltmeter to check the adapter..

The outlet in which i connected my laptop to, has an dedicated circuit which can handle high amp current required for air conditioners thereby preventing circuit overload. Yeah , that doesn't make sense , as you have answered before.
But i wonder previously my laptop charged well with normal outlets,but after connecting once with this high power outlet...the adaptor isn't working more on normal outlets... I have to use only those high power outlet now to get my laptop charged.
Btw, my adapter plug also contains a removable 3A fuse..is damaged(maybe) fuse is the main culprit?? Should i replace it??

Btw i can't even check the fuse because it doesnt have a transparent glass cover, its an opaque hard plastic.

Moreover i joined this community today and found very responsive, would be glad to help others too.
Thank you for your kind response..

Here's why I asked if you had a voltmeter.

The only thing the adapter SEES is the voltage of the outlet.

If it works on one and doesn't work on others....I have a strong suspicion that the voltage isn't the same on all the outlets. If you had a volt meter, you could confirm this.

As far as the fuse....if it was blown...I don't think it would charge anything ever.

Besides....there is no reason the fuse should have blown. The high current outlet (18A) doesn't matter. That will blow the fuse no easier than the other outlets.

Here's another thing though....the adapter is good from 100-240.....so even if the other outlets aren't the same voltage...I think it still should work......which is why I am puzzled.

AS I said....the only thing the adapter sees is the voltage of the outlet.

The voltage is the only thing that is going to make it work or not work.

clarkjd

Distinguished

As has been said, if the fuse were blown, then the charger wouldn't work on either outlet.
Have you tried using an outlet in another house? or will the outlet that doesn't work with the charger work with, say, a table lamp?

Jul 19, 2018
Ok i think i have found the solution...when i tried to charge my laptop with adapter plug connected to an extension cord..then i found my laptop was charging well while keeping the socket frame upside down....but when i rotated it , it stops charging .Most probably its the issue with the adapter input wire.

As my high power socket is mounted upside down while normal socket is mounted properly on the wall.

Lol , this cheap adapter cord has wasted half of my day, will buy a new cord tomorrow. I was afraid too much, bcs this is my first laptop and also my most expensive gift from my dad.

I thank to the community for the support. Yours precious replies may not have helped me...but i gained a lot of knowledge from this thread. Thank you guys, have a nice day.

Solution

This makes so much sense. Glad you figured it out.