Laptop not recognizing SSD (or allowing entry to BIOS when SSD plugged in)

chirag11

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hello

I have a Gateway NV59C. Currently it has a mechanical HDD. I purchased the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB as my replacement drive. I cloned the drive using the Samsung Data Migration. It finished successfully.

However when I swap the drives (replace HDD with SSD), the laptop shows the boot screen (Gateway logo) with option to press F2 to Enter BIOS, and then just reboots.

However, if I press F2 (or even F12 for boot menu), nothing happens. same thing keeps happening over and over. I thought it may be bad SSD. So I put the old HDD back in , and everything worked. I plugged the SSD into a USB enclosure and I can see the drive with the C drive contents (because it was cloned).

I have checked the following:
- I am already on the latest BIOS version from gateway site
- The SATA port is set to AHCI (it was always AHCI and I was using Win 8.1)
- I disabled quick book (so it shows me details) and I dont see the SSD listed at all

My suspicion is that this could be a bad clone??? The cloning only copied the C: and not the recovery partition.

What do you suggest???

Solution
I think you have met secure boot.
That disallows any booting to windows if the boot device has changed.
With your old hard drive installed, go into the boot menu and disable secure boot, or maybe UEFI.

geofelt

Distinguished
I think you have met secure boot.
That disallows any booting to windows if the boot device has changed.
With your old hard drive installed, go into the boot menu and disable secure boot, or maybe UEFI.

Solution