Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasPancakes

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Laptop: Lenovo Y410P
Integrated GPU: Intel HD 4600
Dedicated GPU: GT755M

My 1 month old Y410P was functioning perfectly in that games were actually running on the GT755M instead of the Intel HD 4600. I can't really pinpoint any single event that would cause my issue but about a week or so ago, no matter which program I run or settings I use, my Intel HD 4600 is the only GPU that is being used. My GT755M activity is always at 0%. I suspect it MIGHT'VE started when my NVIDIA software ran an update as shortly after is when I noticed I wasn't running on dedicated graphics.

I have already tried the following:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
-Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU
-Set the power management to High Performance

Intel Graphics Control Panel:
-Set 3D to Performance
-Set power management to High Performance

Windows Control Panel:
-Set power management to High Performance

Software Installation:
-Installed Lenovo outdated Intel and NVIDIA drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled current versions of Intel and NVIDIA Graphics Software

BIOS:
-Found only the option to choose between Integrated and Integrated+Dedicated

Power:
-Tried taking battery out to be sure I was running on charger

I have tried everything I know of. I am about ready to start commiting violence against my computer.

Regards,
TexasPancakes

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

This happens when these services are stopped :
  1. NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
  2. NVIDIA Update Service Daemon.

Start Task Manager. Click the tab "Services
".Click on a button named "Services." Find them, their names. Right click on them. Then, Properties. Then, Click on "Start " and then select Start-up time :
for the first ->Automatic
for the second -service > Automatic(Delayed Start)

After doing that , it should run.

whitecat

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

If the above didnt work .
Unistall the driver of GT 755M . Restart tha laptop .Get the DVD with the default driver and install it .

If these two things dont help , get the laptop tested by the manufacturer.

TexasPancakes

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
No and also I don't even have the option in the Right-Click menu any more. There's an option to enable and disable the right-click run with nvidia processor option but since I've reinstalled the drivers even when I enable that option it doesn't appear in the right-click menu.

whitecat

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

This happens when these services are stopped :
  1. NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
  2. NVIDIA Update Service Daemon.

Start Task Manager. Click the tab "Services
".Click on a button named "Services." Find them, their names. Right click on them. Then, Properties. Then, Click on "Start " and then select Start-up time :
for the first ->Automatic
for the second -service > Automatic(Delayed Start)

After doing that , it should run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
May 15, 2014

i have a question, can you repeat everything but write it a bit more direct because i could not understand the steps i have the same problem and want to know how to fix it. thanks man

Aziz Mohammad

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
i had this problem with my lenovo z470
1st i thought it could be windows 8.1, so i installed windows 7 professional and things started working. but after a wk when i started playing a game the problem had recurred. this time i uninstalled the NVIDIA graphics driver from control panel and reinstalled it, restarting my PC two times, bot after uninstallation and reinstallation. it started working again. however after few days the problem recurred. and i realized the main reason for its recurrence on trail and error basis. The problem occurs when you have turned on updates or when u manually run updates for windows. especially the intel graphics driver (although the problem occurs after updates of any other kind too) if updated would cause the problem. the NVIDIA driver has to be installed after the intel graphics driver. i have turned off all the updates and have so far gotten no problems for a month now. remember you have the nvidia graphics turned on from the hard key on lenovo machines. as when its off then the NVIDIA control center option to change to NVIDIA graphics in the individual apps will not work.
hope this might help some of you.

Paul1277765

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
I had a similar problem after I downgraded from windows 8 to windows 7 on my new MSI gaming laptop. After trying many fixes it turned out my problem was that I was using the latest Nvidia drivers instead of the older ones tested and approved for my computer by MSI. When I rolled the driver back it fixed the problem. So the problem turned out to be with the Nvidia driver not supporting autoswitching with my computer.

desertimported

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

I just had this problem with my Asus n550jk-ds71t insisting on using the built in intel graphics, although I hadn't downgraded my windows and I'm not sure how I updated the video card driver unless it was an automatic windows update or GeForce Experience updated it. I tried your solution of rolling the driver back for the graphics card and it worked!

I thought I had been dealing with a lemon until now. Thanks for sharing your solution.

yekesim

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Hi,
I am just having the problem with n550jk-ds71t. I have updated the driver as i got the laptop and i cannot rollback now. What is the version of your driver?

Thanks

akistzortzis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
The Nvidia Control Panel controls which GPU will be used in 3D applications. It saves its settings under "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation" . Which is bad since a local "user" cannot write to this directory. The solution is to log in as "administrator" and give the "users" group write access to this directory.

Afterwards, make sure you start the Nvidia Control Panel and set the preferred processor to Nvidia.

FirdawZ

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been having the same problem for a while and could never seem to fix the problem, but this worked for me!

Sharmimi Rizal

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
Dude have you fixed yours? mine MSI have the same issue. i already rolled back both intel and nvidia driver but seems theres no hope. please help, its been about two months already im using the integrated intel graphic. i really started to feel like paying too much for this laptop.

my spec
i7-4700mq
windows 8.1
nvidia gtx765m

added info
my hdd got problem and i changed it with a new one include clean windows, then the problem start to occured..

skroobman

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Okay everyone, I found two fixes for this:

This one worked for me, it is very easy. I can't remember where I found it now, but it is:

1. Go to the file for Nvidia Control Panel (C: Program Files: NVIDIA Corporation: Control Panel Client)
2. Right click on "nvcplui" and enter properties. Go to compatibility tab.
3. Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for (your OS)"
4. Right Click and run as administrator.

All edits you do should now stick, and I'd recommend putting a shortcut to the "nvcplui" on your desktop so you can access it more easily. Just remember to run as administrator each time.

this one also worked after testing it again:

"Delete a folder named Nvidia corporation in the c:\programdata folder, but this 1 was tricky, since windows said I had no permission to delete them, so I had to do it manualy and add my user account permissions to it, file by file (do to this, see how to claim ownership of your files on google), in the end, I think this folder and files where the cause for everything;

So I can now install everything "Except the Nvidia experience app", but its pretty much useless so wont find the cause for it, maybe a side effect or what ever, all I know is that my mood is now very good, running thins smooth now."

credits to Imelnan at:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/525191/geforce-experience/nvidia-installer-failed/8/?offset=116#4333235

Status
Not open for further replies.