Laptop/notebook for scientific camera

einatlev

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello,
I am a scientist and I am looking for a netbook/small laptop to connect to my lab/field camera. The camera records at a resolution of 320 by 240 at a rate of 60 Hz. The camera is connected to the computer through Gigabit Ethernet cable.
Do I need a specially fast hard drive, or would any normal drive would do? the recordings would normally not be larger than 5 minutes long, so about 3 Gbyte per file.
Oh, and it needs to run Windows because the recording software that comes with the camera only runs on Windows.
Thanks!!!!

Hi :)

Ask the camera manufacturer...

Also ask them WHICH version of Windows their software will run on ..XP,VISTA,WINDOWS 7 etc etc...

Also 3 gb per file is not exactly small...if you take the average new laptop as having a 500 gb hard drive with say 50gb used for windows/programs etc you are only going to get 150 recordings before you run out of hard drive space...and dont even think about a 500gb SSD lol...that would be heart attack time....unless you have a LOT of budget for this...

All the best Brett :)

einatlev

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks Brett!
Manufacturer says any new Windows (vista/7/xp) would work.
So you think disk speed is not going to be an issue? it seems hard to find a laptop with both gigabit ethernet and a 7200 rpm disk under the budget I have (preferably under 400 dollars)...
Thanks again :)

Hi )

Ok..you want Windows 7...a LOT better than Vista lol...

Disk speed may be an issue but for that price you are not going to get much choice...and no SSD`s lol

To be honest a its for business/scientific use, you REALLY need a serious budget....$400 is toy time...

$2000 IS SERIOUS TIME...ssd`S ETC...and a fast cpu etc etc...

Oh by the way check with them again whether their software will work with BOTH 32 and 64 bit Windows... as a lot of cheap laptops dont give you a choice...

All the best Brett :)

einatlev

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks again :)
:To be honest a its for business/scientific use, you REALLY need a serious budget....$400 is toy time..." -- tell that to the National Science Foundation :)
I found something that will work just fine, the HP dv4 model. I have the dv6 for my HD camera and it works just fine. The new camera has lower resolution so even less data is needed.
Thanks!

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Pure math... 3GB per 5 min = 10 MB/s...

Any hard disk should be able to maintain that if no other process (besides the OS) are running. As for CPU/etc... all depends on what the software is doing/requires. If it's only "receiving" the file on writing on disk, that should not be very intensive.