Laptop operating system/ memory

Aug 25, 2018
I'm shopping for a laptop & all these numbers are confusing the heck out of me. What is the difference between 256GB SSD storage & 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory. What even is 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory? Would I want to go for the 16GB? I would mainly use if for everyday internet browsing, streaming & maybe photo editing. I have quite a bit of songs, movies, videos & photos. I would want it to run smoothly & have enough memory to last me a few years.

Solution
8GB (or 16GB) is the RAM space.
The 256GB is the hard drive space.

Think of RAM like the surface of the desk your sitting at. You can spread things out and read them. Larger desk = more things.
For your use, 8GB is probably fine.

The drive space (256GB SSD) is the file cabinet next to you. Obviously, a larger file cabinet can hold more stuff.
For your use, a single 256GB drive is probably NOT enough. Movies and videos will fill it up quickly.

USAFRet

Illustrious
8GB (or 16GB) is the RAM space.
The 256GB is the hard drive space.

Think of RAM like the surface of the desk your sitting at. You can spread things out and read them. Larger desk = more things.
For your use, 8GB is probably fine.

The drive space (256GB SSD) is the file cabinet next to you. Obviously, a larger file cabinet can hold more stuff.
For your use, a single 256GB drive is probably NOT enough. Movies and videos will fill it up quickly.

Solution