Laptop overheating spikes

dAFKa

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
My laptop had some overheating issues, so i disassembled it, cleaned everything i could, put a new thermal paste on.
Now it's idle temperature is much lower (from 80 C to 60 C) but if I watch a stream for example or do something other resources demanding, it spikes up immediatly and drops up and down, even up to 100 C and then turns off
rTh55ca.png
Here's a picture of said spikes. What should I do?

Solution
An idle temperature of 60°C is still very hot for a laptop. Normal idle temperatures should be anywhere from 30°C to 45°C.

Are you using the laptop on a soft surface that could be blocking the vents (lap, couch, bed, etc.)? What is the temperature of the room in which you are running the laptop? Simple tasks such as watching a stream in a web browser should not lead to the system shutting down due to overheating.

The Acer Aspire 5740 has an Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor which has a TJunction temperature of 105°C. That means that when the processor reaches around 105°C, it will first down clock itself in an attempt to lower its temperature. If this fails and the temperature continues to rise, the processor will shut the system down...

LogicalCaveman

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
An idle temperature of 60°C is still very hot for a laptop. Normal idle temperatures should be anywhere from 30°C to 45°C.

Are you using the laptop on a soft surface that could be blocking the vents (lap, couch, bed, etc.)? What is the temperature of the room in which you are running the laptop? Simple tasks such as watching a stream in a web browser should not lead to the system shutting down due to overheating.

The Acer Aspire 5740 has an Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor which has a TJunction temperature of 105°C. That means that when the processor reaches around 105°C, it will first down clock itself in an attempt to lower its temperature. If this fails and the temperature continues to rise, the processor will shut the system down in order to prevent damage, mostly to the delicate internal transistors of the processor. Long story short, your computer should not reach this heat related shut down while simply watching a stream especially after cleaning dust and replacing the thermal paste. Is it possible the heatsink for the processor was knocked out of place while replacing the thermal paste?

Solution

dAFKa

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I dissassembled it and replaced thermal paste again and it is now on normal temperature