Laptop plastic frame melt near fan outlet

vistatech

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 Pro. I noticed recently that the plastic frame near the fan outlet has melted a little. I haven't gamed since a month or so. The only demanding tasks the laptop undertakes is Adobe Photoshop CC 2015. Check the image below:-
http://prntscr.com/cry3aw

Laptop Specs
i5-5250U
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
NVIDIA GT920M
Win 10 Pro

Now, my laptop is under warranty, but without Accidental Damage cover. So, if I were to call Dell for the issue since it's clear that the issue is internal and nothing done by me, will I be in trouble? I am asking because I still have 1year+ warranty on the product left.

Solution
Hey guys, sorry for being late. I've got some good news. Since the last time, I talked to the Dell rep, I started noticing the laptop going to sleep automatically and randomly. Plus, I also told them that while the laptop was ON, there was a burning odor. I had to talk to him and his senior for 4 days and at last, they did go ahead with the free replacement. Though, it seemed like they weren't gonna help, the rep was very helpful. Matter of fact, I got more than what I had asked for. The rep had the technician replace the whole bottom assembly including the touchpad and the heatsink.
Thanks for all your support, guys. Hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

AtomSphere

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
warranty should cover since it is a defect of workmanship. If you google and other people are having the same issue with your laptop model, its best to consult the dell warranty department. No harm asking them right?

vistatech

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Thanks for the comment. But, I wonder if they are gonna cancel the whole warranty based on this incident, but it's evident that the heat from the inside of the laptop is causing the issue. So, are you sure that I should contact Dell regarding the issue?

AtomSphere

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
this is how I see it, warranty should cover any defects if there is no abuse under normal usage. Although this is more cosmetics, try to sell the idea to them that you're worried that the melting will impede some airflow out of the heatsink therefore affecting the product nominal operations

Please let us know if you do the claim and how it went.

ffg7

Splendid
also that plastic is there to protect the fins of the heatsink. damage to the fins could result in hotter operating temperatures. think of the grill in front of the rad in a car\truck as not just for asthetics but also purpose.

Unless Dell tries to claim the air intake vents on the bottom were blocked by using the laptop on a soft surface such as a lap or bed or carpeting, causing the laptop to overheat, which would be considered accidental damage/misuse.

But hopefully they WON'T try to pull a fast one like that.

vistatech

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Thanks guys for all your replies. I have contacted Dell and the rep told me he'll be contacting me after he discusses the matter with his manager. Let's hope it all goes well. As @1shado1 mentioned they did ask me if the laptop had any other damages and also the details of where I usually use my laptop, the surface. I mentioned it loud and clear that I never use it on the bed or lap and always carry around my laptop cooler and use it with the laptop.

vistatech

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Well guys. Thanks for all your comments. The support rep called me and said that since there wasn't an overheating issue, they won't be able to provide warranty and it would be considered a damage. And, since I don't have ADP, they would have to charge me for the replacement.
I don't understand how on earth hot air coming from inside the laptop causing the plastic vent to melt is "Accidental Damage!" The sad part is I can't prove that it was an overheating issue and nothing done by me. And, when I asked the rep an approximate price of the replacement (not a quote), he said, it'd be like Rs.5000-7000 roughly ($100 or more).
He's asked me to wait for another day so that their team can decide, and said the odds of getting a free repair is very very less.
I don't know what to do! When I asked if they'd at least send a technician over to check if it's actually an accidental damage or if some component is going bad, they said it won't be possible.

vistatech

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Hey guys, sorry for being late. I've got some good news. Since the last time, I talked to the Dell rep, I started noticing the laptop going to sleep automatically and randomly. Plus, I also told them that while the laptop was ON, there was a burning odor. I had to talk to him and his senior for 4 days and at last, they did go ahead with the free replacement. Though, it seemed like they weren't gonna help, the rep was very helpful. Matter of fact, I got more than what I had asked for. The rep had the technician replace the whole bottom assembly including the touchpad and the heatsink.
Thanks for all your support, guys. Hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

Solution