Laptop Power Brick Clicking/Ticking Under Low Power

jsilverstreak

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I bought a lenovo ideapad y510p sli 750m with a 170 watt power brick a week ago and i noticed a clicking noise coming from the power brick when it was next to my laptop otherwise it is too far away to hear it. It only happens when i'm using low power like browsing the web. My wattage meter says it is drawing about 30 watts when the clicking happens. The clicking stops when i use more power above 60 watts.
If i put my ear directly on the brick i can hear humming which is normal, then i hear the click and the humming stops when the click happens and starts right after the click. It doesn't click when not plugged into the laptop
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070610170028AAtC1Dl
the second answer seems to be right but it doesnt get hot only 35c which is no hotter than other bricks in the house and it is 170 watt.
should i be worried and get a replacement battery or power brick.

Solution
Could be as noted in the answer you posted, or it could be the battery is fully charged and the overcharge protection circuit is kicking in and out to prevent battery damage. Take the battery out and see if the sound disappears running just the brick. The lack of heat buildup makes me think it is the safety circuit as it would be very unusual for the brick or a new battery to have an issue - if the laptop is still under warranty, call Lenovo direct and get their input also.

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Could be as noted in the answer you posted, or it could be the battery is fully charged and the overcharge protection circuit is kicking in and out to prevent battery damage. Take the battery out and see if the sound disappears running just the brick. The lack of heat buildup makes me think it is the safety circuit as it would be very unusual for the brick or a new battery to have an issue - if the laptop is still under warranty, call Lenovo direct and get their input also.

Solution

jsilverstreak

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply
I took out the battery and turned it on and the clicking happened still. Makes me happy to know that at least it isn't the battery. And the clicking doesn't happen when charging.