Laptop power charge on/off when on games/programs

VVac0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello,

I have an Asus r500vm (i7, 635m 8gb ram), which behaves very strangely. No new hardware has been installed.
Whenever I run a game the power starts to turn and off repeatedly. It's not the battery because if i run programs without the battery the laptop just turns off.
I tried changing the power jack, but it didn't help. Checked every component, but didn't see any problems.
Might be the AC adapter, but the laptop runs fine when just browsing the internet, it's just when i run a game or graphically intensive program the power logo switches on/off continuously. Maybe motherboard is dying ? Any ideas??

Thanks

Teknor

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
whats the graphics make? NVidea has been known to develop heating problems over a time. try updating the drivers.

could be heating due to dust, try cleaning the exhaust attached to the cooling fan.

VVac0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
The laptop is very clean. I've cleaned it changed the thermal paste etc. I also put it together very carefully and i am pretty sure it's not the cause of the problem.
The problem is that the laptop doesn't turn off of overheating. It doesn't even turn off if when it is just on battery. The thing is that when the Nvidia graphics card kicks in, the AC adapter's charging starts to turn off and on.
In other words the bottom right display near the clock, with the battery and the plug in windows starts changing rapidly. From with the plug and battery icon to just the battery one.
Everything is fine when the laptop runs only on the integrated chip. Might be a short-circuit or maybe the AC adapter is failing and can't output the required power to run the extra Nvidia chip? How would i test these things ? I just ran out of ideas :/

VVac0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Although, it seems as the LCDs display's cable that connects to the motherboard seems to be tampered with, although it looks very similar to the spare ones on ebay. It has some sticky tape, where i can see some wires underneath when i unstick it.