Laptop problem asks for password then turns off

valerie_07

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hello,
I have start-up problems with my 5-month old netbook, Samsung NC10, & Windows XP. Since today it asks for password, says its loading, then straight away says its saving and I only get the option to repeat password/loading/saving process or turn off. Same thing happens in safe mode.

Can anyone help please?
Valerie

You could be in difficulty here because I believe you've had a malware attack but you won't have an XP CD or for that matter, a CD ROM to put one in. You actually need to edit your Registry to restore the Winlogon to default if my guess about malware is correct. Are you able to download to the computer you're posting from and burn a CD on it, then buy or borrow a USB external CD ROM? If so, download UB4WINCD from http://www.ubcd4win.com/ and post back for more details when you've got that far.

Netbooks - mini laptops - are still being sold with XP, marcellis22, and that OS remains the system of choice for a very large number of people. :D

valerie_07

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Hello marcellis22. We especially chose one with XP, because we find it easier. I don't remember if we had any restore disks - at any rate I can't find any.

valerie_07

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Hello Saga Lout,
Yes, I've got a USB external CD ROM, so I'll try UB4WINCD and let you know when I've done it.
Wouldn't AVG have picked up malware?

Sadly no - even though the AS in AVGAS stands for anti-spyware. It's a pretty good AV and resident but it can't deal with malware in the way that MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSyware and even Spybot can. I'm afraid we need a full arsenal these days. Even links in fake mails purporting to come from reputable courier companies get past AVG.

valerie_07

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

I've now got UBCD4WinV350 (setup) on a CD. Hope this is what you meant. Please let me know what to do next, when you have time. I have to go soon, but I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I haven't used the package for soem while but you need to seek out the part that allows you to usee the Registry editing facility in the same graphic interface you'd have in a normal Windows system. From therem, you're looking for H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>CurrentVersion>Winlogon and then in the right hand pane, find and double click on UIHost and change the ValueData to logonui.exe. Save that change and exit then you should be able to log into your system in the normal way.

Before doing any of the above, you may need to go into your BIOS menus and change the Boot Sequence or Order to allow the CD to boot the system first. I think we're in different time zones so I hope you've fixed this when I get back to my computer at 22:00 GMT this evening. :D
[/#000ff]

valerie_07

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Couldn't get it to boot from the CD, even though I changed the Boot Sequence in the BIOS menu. However I managed to get into the Samsung Recovery System, so did that. Now I have a fully functioning netbook, but lost some data - nothing too tragic though, & at least the netbook works. I'll try to protect it better in the future, but I'd assumed AVG would be enough. Now I know better.
Many thanks for all your help.

I'm glad you got it sorted but those manufacturers' recovery processes always lead back to the default settings the system had when it left the factory. However, the lesson learnt that backup is important will save you a lot of trouble in the future.[/#000ff]