Laptop screen flickered a lot then went black

Aug 25, 2018
I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 15ISK with a touchscreen - recently the screen started to flicker a lot and has now gone black. The computer still works when connected to a large screen via HDMI. everything else is working fine. I have run Lenovo Update and also tried manually installing the latest Intel chipset and display drivers to no effect.

My question is, should I replace the digitizer control board for sub £15 as a second hand spare part or do I need a complete screen at £110.

The other component I am slightly unsure of is the cable between laptop and screen - this may be the source of the fault ?

Any ideas/clues how to work through this to a conclusion would be very much appreciated

MT

Paul

Solution
well my english seems to be not that good as i tought :)
u dont need digitizer, that has nothing to do with backlit, thats for touch control
ull need to replace LED backlight control / converter board
which looks something like this, it should be near your display, usualy at bottom
http://www.machinaelectronics.com/items/pn/Lenovo-LED-Control-Board-42W8219-1XL.JPG
and it does what its name suggests, it does light up leds

do that light test first (its free)

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
if only backlit died, u can replace digitizer, display should be still showing colors even if there is no backlit. put some light on it (direct sun/ phone led), if u wont see anything (all full black) then u may need another ips panel

Aug 25, 2018

Thanks for that - I guess my question is related to what function the small control board has, and therefore does it make any sense to try that first. If the control board element of the screen only relates to the digitizer side, then as you suggest, I need a new screen.

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
well my english seems to be not that good as i tought :)
u dont need digitizer, that has nothing to do with backlit, thats for touch control
ull need to replace LED backlight control / converter board
which looks something like this, it should be near your display, usualy at bottom
http://www.machinaelectronics.com/items/pn/Lenovo-LED-Control-Board-42W8219-1XL.JPG
and it does what its name suggests, it does light up leds

do that light test first (its free)

Solution