Question Laptop screen issue (haven't found exact issue elsewhere)

Nov 19, 2020
The laptop was given to me because of this issue. It was barely used. It's a Gateway MD7822u with Windows Vista (yes I know it's kinda old now '07 to be exact, but has pretty good specs and I'd like to install Linux if I can get this fixed). I press the power key and the screen turns on like it should, but after 2-3 seconds it goes black. It works perfectly fine with a TV plugged into the HDMI port. I know the monitor can work properly because working with it I can get it to turn on for a couple seconds then it goes right back off. I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power...etc. with no positive results. I don't think it has anything to do with the OS since it shuts off well before the OS begins to load. {I could possibly be wrong?} BIOS and Windows device manager both claim the ram is good, as well as the driver for the monitor. I have quite a bit of experience building and troubleshooting systems, but this one has me stumped! I've also searched and read everything I can find on the topic. Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It seems like some sort of "fail-safe shut off" similar to, but not necessarily a overheat off switch? I may be way off, but that's the best I can relate it to.

Nov 19, 2020
Backlight may be bad, or the screen itself. If it works with an external screen that is really the only thing it can be.
It turns on for a few seconds both when I turn the power on and also when I switch it from external screen to internal screen and then shuts off. When it's on it looks fine so I don't understand how it could be a backlight.