Laptop seems to get too hot

Veske

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hi!

At the moment when I am typing this, my cpu and case temps are both at about 41 C.
This is on a Lenovo U310 that I got about a week ago.

Now, on this review page: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-U310-Laptop-Review.77082.0.html

at the temperature section it shows that this laptop should have these temperatures when under maximum load. Also, the tests were done in a room with 25 C. I am in a room which is even colder.

What might be wrong here? Should I pop the case and see If maybe they have put the paste on the CPU poorly?

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
41c under max load is nowhere near dangerous. It's completely normal. If you wish to dust off your laptop, feel free to do so, it's good to do once in a while. But don't worry about it, the temps are normal, and good. If you use your laptop a lot, sitting with it on your lap, or on your bed etc, you should get yourself a cooler, which also will decrease temps a lot.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Grab a can of pressurized air/duster can of air(or some other suitable arrangement) and blow out the fan inlet that is underneath the laptop. Also blow out the side outlet where hot air comes out.

Veske

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
No my CPU usage is about 3% and temp is 49 C now. But the review shows that is the temp when under load. If i would put this laptop under load I;d imagine it would go way above 60 or 70. There is no dust in it yet as it's just a week old. Only problem that there can be is the thermal paste imo?

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
It could be, but imo i wouldn't do it as it could void your warranty. I'd either try to update your motherboard which also could be the problem, (trust me, BIOS update fixes a lot, even hot temps) or i'd try to RMA it, or first contact the company and try to hear if they have any fixes. It cannot be dust since it's not even more than a week old. Try to put something under the PC, so it gets a good airflow, and try to put it on max load. Do all these steps, afterwards if it doesn't work, RMA it.

Veske

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Allright, all cores under maximum load and temperatures are at 71 C right now. RMA it then ?

Btw, i am unable to update BIOS as lenovo only releases BIOS updates for windows.. I am using Linux on this computer.

EDIT: 75 C seems to be the maximum. Kinda like my old acer which also had a GPU to make such heat.

chromenut

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

on the review ; http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-U310-Laptop-Review.77082.0.html

Prime 95 full load on cores, temperature was maxed @ 82&84C

I dont see a reason why you would need to RMA, those temperatures are normal