Laptop Semi-Freezing and Unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNineWingedDuck

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
My laptop suddenly semi-freezes. I need a solution.

Symptoms:
-Keyboard has no input. Mouse can still be moved around and sometimes clicked.
-Can't restart/shut down in the normal way. Either the PC doesn't shut off after the "Shutting Down..." screen, or the computer doesn't do anything at all.
-Programs/Apps freeze and don't respond, and then they get a black screen. (Just happend while I was writing this.)

PC Specs:
Lenovo Y-700
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16GB ram
256 SSD
GTX 960M
Windows 10

Tried Malwarebytes, but it doesn't see any threat.

Edit:
Scanned with Malwarebytes again this

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Scan Date: 19-Nov-16
Scan Time: 01:28
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.1.1043
Malware Database: v2016.11.18.07
Rootkit Database: v2016.10.31.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: cnilo

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 289460
Time Elapsed: 10 min, 2 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 1
PUP.Optional.Webitar, HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\Webitar Production Inc., , [b20d8b36fc9ea591d07b775616ed916f],

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 1
PUP.Optional.Webitar, C:\ProgramData\Webitar Production Inc, , [cbf4526f722874c2de61cd00ea196e92],

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

Solution
Just because one testing program didn't find anything, doesn't mean there isn't anything on the device. Sadly you need more than one, and more than one type of scan, to really know for sure.

Try loading the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if you still get the problem. If you don't, then it is definitely something installed on the device.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts...
Just because one testing program didn't find anything, doesn't mean there isn't anything on the device. Sadly you need more than one, and more than one type of scan, to really know for sure.

Try loading the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if you still get the problem. If you don't, then it is definitely something installed on the device.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution

Willipost

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
I have the same type of laptop - Y700 and (mostly) when playing some types of games or watching youtube my keyboard suddenly stops working and i can only use mouse but can't turn off or restart because it will go blackscreen and freeze, only solved by hard shutting down by holding the power button.
I've been searching for many solutions but nothing helped yet :/

My guess is it can have some hardware-communication/connection problem by accidently falling once (it happens to everyone right? :D) or it is caused by the type, this is my second Y700, really like it but the first one stopped working after 2 weeks and IT said it's completely dead so i had to change it for a a new one at the store but still after like 3 moths it had almost the same problem but was solved by the IT by reinstalling the whole system and now this keyboard problem appears.
Also tell if someone also has those micro-lags when watching vids or playing some games, it's 2-3 sec freeze and once in like 2 hours. Would really appreciate a solution for atleast one of the problems and i hope this helps :)

Aug 16, 2018
I have a Lenovo Ideapad that also freezes randomly. Having researched the issue extensively (since Lenovo support are no help) this seems to be a relatively common issue that afflicts certain configurations of Ideapad and Yoga laptops. People have tried different display drivers, BIOS versions, etc, but the reality is that there are no known solutions. If your computer is under warranty I recommend asking Lenovo for a refund. They are a very bad company that don't collect statistics on their repairs (if they did they would know this is an issue that they can't fix) and will therefore try to force you to send it in for multiple repairs. They will treat each repair as if it is the first time they have ever seen an issue like it. My laptop has been in and out of their repair centre for the last 4 months and the issue is still not resolved. I have had to buy another computer because I needed one for my business. I still do not know if Lenovo will honour their obligations under the warranty. I have lost a significant amount of time and money in the whole process which I will never get back. If you like you can give them one chance to fix it and when they don't (notice I said "when" and not "if") you should demand a refund and buy a laptop from a reputable brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.