Laptop shuts down and automatically turns on after like 3 seconds

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Hello i just created my account here because of the awesome community here.Here are my laptop specs
Intel core i7 2670qm
6 gb ram
640gb hdd
1gb gt525m with intel hd3000
windows 8.1 pro x64
So the problem is that the laptop shuts down and auto reboots itself after 2-3 seconds without me pressing power button.This started few days ago it was working flawlessly.I purchased this lappy 2.5 years ago.Laptop does this thing mostly when I am playing games(any game).So I stopped playing games for like 9 days and only started watching movies and doing other stuff like net browsing.In these 9 days it only shut down and restart itself like 2 times only but when I am playing any game it does this in like 5-10 minutes.Now I know all of you will say overheating but its not overheating I cleaned it myself and re-applied the thermal paste.The max temps I recorded on GPU is 79c and 82c for cpu.Now these are absolutely fine temps for laptop.I mostly play Counter Strike Global Offensive on steam.At first I thought it was the games update thats causing this in cs go.Then I started Saints Row IV again on steam boom it does that thing again.So i thought maybe steam update messed something so I play bejeweled 3 non steam game which is very less demanding game boom it does this again.Then I thought nvidia gpu is faulty i started game on intel hd3000 boom it does this again. So i then reinstalled the OS formatted the whole system(clean install) and again it does that.Guys I am running out of ideas here what should i do other things that I have done to address the problem are as follows:
.Updated gpu drivers and also tried older drivers
.My bios is also upto date
Now I am really confused here.Also I ran full system diagnosis from bios my pc passed every test.Then I ran DELL diagnosis which is done in the OS from dell website and my pc passed all the tests.I know alot about pc and fixed many other laptops but this problem is confusing man what should i do.I made no hardware changes recently.No overclocking is done but this is irrelevant since this also happens on intel hd3000.
I also removed battery and tried to play directly but same thing happens.It only doesn't shutdown when I am operating it on battery.This only happens in A.C with or without battery.
Any help plz...

Solution
Hi, a problem with the hard drive is not going to reboot your laptop, it will freeze but does not reboot, if you have the problem with only the adapter, verify the DC jack or the wire of the adapter, you have maybe a bad contact. Or you have a bad component on the motherboard, and when it is heating up, it lacks a signal to the laptop and make it to reboot.

plaintuts

Estimable
May 5, 2014
A hard disk drive is a mechanical disk read by a magnetic head spinning at 5000 or more rpms..

Aging component happens faster on moving parts.

If you are certain that all components are still fine and since you already clean installed the OS to remove software issues...

Then the laptop is overheating.

But since have experience in fixing laptops and especially pointed out that the temps are normal..

Then the only possibility is magic..

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
thankx bro for taking time to reply.Its not overheating problem i checked that multiple times.As you say HDD can maybe cause this issue also but I have to be sure on this since i ran full diagnosis on HDD and it says its fine.Also new HDD will cost me but if then the issue still persists then i guess i am totally out of any luck for fixing this issue.I ran full diagnosis and the diagnosis includes almost all components like RAM,HDD,CHARGER ,GPU,CPU.It says all tests are passed,so is this possible that diagnosis is not giving me accurate results..By the way overheating causes shutdown for few minutes until laptop cools itself it doesn't turns on so its probably not overheating.my laptop just shuts down and reboots after 3-4 seconds.ok lets say its HDD issue why it doesn't crash on battery.It never crashes on battery no matter how long i play game but fps is very very low on battery.

plaintuts

Estimable
May 5, 2014
Then thats probably a mainboard inverter problem.. The ic chip in the mainboard that connects to the a/c adapter...

You will need a voltmeter to measure if the board is getting all of the 18.5v from the a/c then.

Lets just hope that the problem will be fixed with a new hdd..

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Actually what u are saying does makes sense.My friends laptops was shutting down not restarting like mine and he replaced his charger and his issue was gone.So should i try with a new charger or get the ic chip checked because i am not that expert in checking ic's.I am afraid whenever there is even a little problem with laptop these pricks at DELL support say to change the motherboard and they charge for it.But charger from diagnosis also says its alright but anyway I will give it a try.My sixth sense is saying that its a charger or as you said IC chip issue.

plaintuts

Estimable
May 5, 2014
I wont suggest you get a new charger outright or take it to a service center just yet, because..

If you replace the hdd, even if the problem is not fixed.. You can still use the hdd for storage or an external drive.

If you buy an adapter, but the problem persist then.. That would just be bad.

Service centers will charge you a lot.. Even for just looking at your computer.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
I will be changing the hdd then already have 1TB external HDD another 640gb HDD won't hurt.Thankx for advice I will change HDD asap and will tell how far that fixed the issue.

Hi, a problem with the hard drive is not going to reboot your laptop, it will freeze but does not reboot, if you have the problem with only the adapter, verify the DC jack or the wire of the adapter, you have maybe a bad contact. Or you have a bad component on the motherboard, and when it is heating up, it lacks a signal to the laptop and make it to reboot.

Solution

Tiffany_deann

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
Was your laptop restarting after shut down even when it wasn't connected to the charger? My laptop is doing exactly what yours was but it does it when it's not connected to the charger too so I don't understand how it could be a charger issue. It's starting to frustrate me though!! Thanks for your help

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

Can you give me ur pc specs model no, etc i solved many types of these problems maybe i can help

Tiffany_deann

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

It's an Inspiron N5110. I'm sorry I don't mean to be ignorant but what do you mean by specs. The service tag is HGX6CR1. I think through Dell you can see the whole laptop configuration. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sidhhant

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
HP Pavilion dv6-6165tx
Intel Core i7 2670QM
8 GB RAM
750 GB hdd
2 GB radeon HD 6770M
win7 x64

One fine day, my laptop did not start (on power on only the LEDs blink, nothing more). When I went to the service center, they said that a power chip component has gone short circuit and needs to be replaced. After replacing the bad part, the laptop ran OK for the first time but then again the same problem came up. But this time, the laptop sometimes starts up normally while other times the same issue persists. Today something new happened; laptop got shut down automatically and starts up on its own after ~4 sec (observation: on force shut down of laptop using power button in which we continuously press the button for 3-4 seconds, a click sound is heard. I heard the similar sound in this incident). Reading the threads, it seems as if my laptop has the same problem.
I use a non genuine charger and my laptop battery life has gone down drastically (but it gives backup for ~20 min). Help me guys if you can in resolving the issue.