Laptop shuts down seconds after post. please help thanks [sorry is this the righ

whatchonaymizz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hello,
I am new to the forums but always knew toms hardware was a great site for articles and such.

okay,
The laptop is a Gateway nv54(Intel Pentium t4300 500gb hdd 4gb ram)

A first my friend had broke his screen, so i told him i could install the new one for free and i did so... now the computer only starts for about 30seconds and then shuts off. I can get into the bios and get to the windows 7 windows is starting screen.

I have quite a bit of experience working on desktop and i discharged my self before opening the computer.

I like to think that the motherboard isnt fried because the computer posts and i can enter bios just after a few seconds it shuts off instantly.

this is rather embarrassing because this problem did not happen before. I even tried to put the old screen in and see if something was wrong with this one but i am confident it isn't the screen.

Also(last thing) I am almost sure it isn't overheating because it is only on for 30 seconds and it dosent feel warm at all.

please help the computer is a work computer.

thanks
-ron

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
No, it most likely is overheating "somewhere" on the CPU die. It doesn't need to be the whole chip getting hot, one small area not in contact with the heatsink (or paste) will crash just as much as a "classic" overheating problem.

What thermal paste did you re-apply after digging into the computer? Try some mx-3, it's fantastic stuff.

Other possible things are loose RAM module/hard disc connection (usually not but worth double checking)

Another possiblity, is the screen the exact same resolution as the one it replaced? if the resolution is not supported by the new screen when it tries to apply it on bootup it may stall everything. Try booting into safe mode at the lowest possible res.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Sorry this dosent appear to be the right section for the post :(

i saw another person with an overheating problem in this section and thought it was but it isnt?

Ah its no problem. There been plenty of posts in the cpu section that could of been place else where in the forums and if need be, a mod can move the thread to the correct section of the forums.

Anyways, for the issue..

Only staying on for 30 seconds? Hmm..... only a guess but it almost sounds as if the cpu is overheating and shutting off the computer. What i mean by that during laptop replacement, the heat sink for the cpu may of managed to move around just enough an allow air to get in between the heat sink and the cpu causing thermal transfer to the heatsink to cease.

If this is case, you wont feel nearly as much heat as you would of felt if there is no air in between the 2.

Although the only way to be sure of that is try checking the temp in bios (if possible) and see if the temp is really hot (like 85C or above) or reapplying the thermal paste.

Maybe someone else has a different idea of what's going on but that's my first hunch.

whatchonaymizz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Ah its no problem. There been plenty of posts in the cpu section that could of been place else where in the forums and if need be, a mod can move the thread to the correct section of the forums.

Anyways, for the issue..

Only staying on for 30 seconds? Hmm..... only a guess but it almost sounds as if the cpu is overheating and shutting off the computer. What i mean by that during laptop replacement, the heat sink for the cpu may of managed to move around just enough an allow air to get in between the heat sink and the cpu causing thermal transfer to the heatsink to cease.

If this is case, you wont feel nearly as much heat as you would of felt if there is no air in between the 2.

Although the only way to be sure of that is try checking the temp in bios (if possible) and see if the temp is really hot (like 85C or above) or reapplying the thermal paste.

Maybe someone else has a different idea of what's going on but that's my first hunch.

Thank you both, unfortiantly i cant see the temps from the bios, i have some arctic silver already on the way from newegg so then i will take it apart and reset the heatsink. i relaly hope that is the problem. could it even possibly be the motherboard? or maybe the fans to the heat sink where broke because i dont feel much much air at all. thanks but this is still not solved yet.

also i reset the ram... it isnt the problem...

whatchonaymizz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
What thermal paste did you re-apply after digging into the computer? Try some mx-3, it's fantastic stuff.

i had some arctic silver already coming but thanks for the recommendation... i never took the computer completely apart but maybe it was moved when the screen was broke.

whatchonaymizz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

yes, it still did the same thing, it stayed on longer tho, maybe because it wasn't as hot because it was off overnight . Later today i am going to take it all apart and check out the heat sink and reapply thermal paste

whatchonaymizz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
hey, so i think i have identified the problem... i did replace the thermal paste that was on way to big ext but i dont think that was the real problem.

when i was resembling the computer i didn't plug the ribbon cable for the hdd indicator and some other displays and the computer started and stayed on. so I figured it was the heat and i fixed it but then i completely put everything back on it would do the old problem. I looked at every little thing till i noticed the ribbon cable was bent and the pins were messed up. I hope this is the problem I ordered the part and it should be here on the 6th....anyone ever head of something like this?

rookiebot

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Bro,
What happend after??
How did you fix it.. did the ribbon really solve the issue???

Please reply and help a brother out ! :)
Thanks in advance

Apr 6, 2018
Hello, I have the same issue with the laptop, I replace the thermal paste but still turns off after a while, did you solve the issue by replace the cable? I din’t try that yet.

Thank