Laptop shutting down on its own

TheSaltiest

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
My Asus x55a laptop tends to shut down whenever it pleases and when I try to turn it on again, the power and num lock lights light up. This shutting down would occur from anywhere within a couple of minutes to a few seconds of working time (turned on). This shouldn't be an overheating issue because I usually wait an hour before turning it on again

Here's the little diagnostics I've ran:
1) SeaTools long test - Passed
2) Memtest x64 - Failed.
Could the bad RAM chip be the problem?

Here's what I've done to try and fix it so far:
1) Had it checked out twice. The guy said the hard drive had some virus damage or something (sorry, can't remember). He reformatted the laptop which fixed the problem for six months or so
2) Completely disassembled it, cleaned the heatsink and tried looking for loose connections but couldn't identify any
3) Ran a multitude of malware/virus scans to make sure it wasn't a software issue
Needless to say none of this worked

Some thing I've noted:
1) A whistle-like sound comes from the cpu area when the ac adapter is connected and the adapter itself makes a buzzing noise when idle
2) If the adapter is connected and the laptop shuts down, it turns itself on, as if the power button was pressed
3) On a few rare occasions, the laptop would start firing bursts of air, either 29 short bursts and 1 long one or a single continuous burst. Could those be similar to BIOS beep codes or something?

Specs:
OS - Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit
CPU - Intel Celeron B820 @ 1.70GHz:
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM - 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X55A (SOCKET 0)
Graphics - Intel HD Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage - 698GB Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 (SATA)
Optical Drives - Slimtype DVD A DS8A8SH
Audio - High Definition Audio Device

Thanks in advance for any advice

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
bad ram will cause random crashes when that ram does not have error correcting built in (this is only found in servers and is very expensive).

I am 100% certain that this is your issue.