Laptop slow boot time

Kogalon

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hey, guys.
I have a problem with my old Dell Studio laptop.
It is now 6 years old and a few weeks ago my boot times became awful! Around 10 minutes are needed for the laptop to be usable. Even when I open google Chrome, it take around 1-2 minutes for chrome to be usable. I ran speedfan and HDtune pro to check if the problem was the HDD. But both programs report excellent health status on the HDD. Even the tempratures are low. CPU temp is around 40.celsius I even formated and reinstalled windows with no success. I'm going crazy at the moment. What could be the problem??? Please help :(

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
The laptop is 6 years old, it's going to have trouble keeping up with the increased requirements of programs.

My advice is usually: if your computer cost less than $800 when you bought it, get a new computer, it is unlikely that the CPU and graphics are up to date enough to handle modern demands.

If it was a high end laptop, you can extend the lifetime of it by swapping out the HDD for an SSD, and adding more RAM (If needed, if you have less than 8gb, it's a good idea to upgrade it to 8-16gb).

Kogalon

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

I forgot to mention that my laptop starts to open programs and files really fast, after like 10-15mins of usage. I am so confused because of this.

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Have you run a disk defragmentation program? HDDs will over time slow down as you fill them up and rewrite over old data. Running Disk Defrag will improve the speed of the drive to something similar to its original speed, as it will not need to move the drive head around as much when searching for files.

It sounds to me like it probably needs a memory and SSD upgrade if things are fine after a slow startup.

TRENDING THREADS