Laptop speakers doesnt work after a while - headphones do

rathishv

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Hi
My laptop (Toshiba L755-M1DW) is showing a strange behavior.
After turning on, the speakers work for a while, then in goes mute. headphones, hdmi outputs etc are not having any issues with sound. After reboot, speakers works again, but goes mute after a while.
Already tried settings, removed and reinstalled drivers etc.

The OS is Windows 10 to which I migrated from Windows 7 couple of years back.

Any advice ?
Thanks
Rathish

Solution
It can happen. Yeah. It wouldn't be part of the problem.

Since it won't let you try it, Then you should try first uninstalling the sound driver, rebooting and then (if it doesn't auto install when you restart) install a new driver.

Should that not help, I would then try running good malware and antivirus checks on the system.
You may have something on your laptop that shouldn't be there. To test for that, try starting the laptop in "Safe Mode" and try using the speakers. You will only have limited access, however if the problem doesn't occur then, you will then need to scan the computer for viruses, malware, bad programs, etc.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

rathishv

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

hi
Thanks for your suggestion.
I entered the safe mode & also safe mode with networking and there the sound is not working at all (the speaker icon in the taskbar comes up with red cross) . So I am unable to troubleshoot.
Is that normal to have no sound in safe mode ? or is it indicating aprt of the problem ?

It can happen. Yeah. It wouldn't be part of the problem.

Since it won't let you try it, Then you should try first uninstalling the sound driver, rebooting and then (if it doesn't auto install when you restart) install a new driver.

Should that not help, I would then try running good malware and antivirus checks on the system.

Solution