Laptop starts zapping me, what could cause it?

Firstname-Lastname

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Hi there,

I have a laptop which is now roughly 6 years old, and I have changed the hard drive twice, once to another hard drive because the old one died (probably because of heat), and the second time about a month ago to an SSD.

Since about 6 months, I had a message pop up on windows 7 that my battery was getting worse, and since then it has basically become a portable desktop (that needs power if I want to use it for more than 15 minutes). Since I installed Ubuntu 14.4 on my SSD, I don't have the message anymore so I think Ubuntu doesn't show it.

I have also been reading around on the internet, and the causes that are most stated, are:
- faulty charger
- faulty battery
- loose wires
- bad grounding

The charger is still the stock charger it came with 6 years ago, same for the battery.

Loose wires I don't thinks is the cause, because other than swapping out the hard drive twice and having tried to install new RAM that later showed to be DeadOnArrival (twice!), I haven't done anything with it in terms of touching hardware.

Bad grounding: I only have the issue at my university, so it could be that it doesn't happen at home.
Then again, when I am home I use my desktop most of the time, and if I do have my laptop on, I use Synergy to use my desktop's mouse and keyboard to control the laptop. So I have no idea if this is the cause, and if it is only at the university...

What do you think is the most probable reason that my laptop is slowly trying to kill me?
(If I need to spend money to try and test different options, I'm open for suggestions, but I'd rather not have it cost more than say 50 euros.)

Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS