Laptop stops typing after a few letters

mailman66

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
My son has a laptop - Fujitsu Amilo L7310GW (XP home), all of a sudden the keyboard and touch pad have started playing up.

The keyboard just stops typing after 6-12 letters, doesn't seem to matter if its word processing, notepad or browsing. If you close the application and re-open it you can type again but still just a few letters.

Also, if you have two or more windows open, it randomly minimizes windows by itself.

Is this likely to be a new keyboard\touch pad that is needed?
or maybe a USB keyboard and mouse would get it going, if so, is it possible to disable the laptop keyboard and touch pad?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
That's odd...if you have a spare keyboard handy, try plugging it in and seeing if it works. If it does, something's wrong with your laptop keyboard. If it doesn't, then it might be a software issue.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I would take it apart and check that the keyboard fitting is secure in the motherboard. Once inside there, get some compressed air and give it a good cleaning. Once secured, check it again. If still not working, hook up a USB keyboard until you get a replacement keyboard (cheap on ebay). You don't need to deactivate the laptop keyboard to use a USB one.

Ever spill any liquids onto the keyboard? Soda or beer can be especially damaging even when cleaned up and dried out.

mailman66

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Thanks for the quick replies folks.

I think a may have found the problem.

The power supply that was given with the laptop was 20v, the laptop itself is 19v, i have started using a 19v supply and everything seems fine - could it have been 1v too much?
i'm not sure if 1v would make any difference, perhaps someone could confirm

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Symptoms of mismatched power supplies include mis-charging batteries, battery not charging at all or beyond a certain point, power bricks overheating, inaccurate battery meters or charging indicators, unexpected shutdowns, reboots and more. I highly doubt that the only symptom you would notice is the keyboard, although it is certainly possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GManX Laptop General Discussion 4
testr Laptop General Discussion 6
blzbnvntr Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 1
7 Laptop General Discussion 3
tobitgo Laptop General Discussion 0
Z Laptop General Discussion 5
K Laptop General Discussion 1
K Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 2