Laptop Suggestions for an Upcoming IT Student

batgirl22

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
Today will mark my first day of college in two years. For personal reasons I had to drop out and I finally have the time again to try again. The past two years, I invested quite a lot of money ($1200+) on my custom desktop computer. Mostly used for gaming, movies, etc.

Now that I'm starting school again, I realize that I may need to buy a laptop. I'm leaning toward a tablet/laptop hybrid. Something that will allow taking notes with ease and enough processing power to fit the needs of an IT student. I also want it to last me long enough to finish off my bachelor's, so approximately 3-4 years.

I'm open to any suggestions and the price range is from $300-$1000.

Thanks,
Jasmin

Solution
Sounds like you are interested in 2-in-1s.

I recommend The Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1. I had good experience with it for $599. A nice i3 should perform well in one or two programming IDEs or document work here and there. The 4gig memory won't let you perform in multitasking while manufactures, including Lenovo Microsoft and Asus, wants to ship 8 gig 2-in-1s that cost a premium. Disagree with me but I find multitasking with a tablet impractical.. Although upgrading the memory for the Inspiron personally wasn't hard.

Do consider Lenovos since they are popular choices for Business, Programmers, and especially ITs. This is simply due to their durability, performance, and offers a 4 year accidental damage protection if i didn't...

planesman22

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
Sounds like you are interested in 2-in-1s.

I recommend The Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1. I had good experience with it for $599. A nice i3 should perform well in one or two programming IDEs or document work here and there. The 4gig memory won't let you perform in multitasking while manufactures, including Lenovo Microsoft and Asus, wants to ship 8 gig 2-in-1s that cost a premium. Disagree with me but I find multitasking with a tablet impractical.. Although upgrading the memory for the Inspiron personally wasn't hard.

Do consider Lenovos since they are popular choices for Business, Programmers, and especially ITs. This is simply due to their durability, performance, and offers a 4 year accidental damage protection if i didn't mention durability.

Solution