Laptop temperatures rising too high. Any quick tips?

Sherlock4869

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Hi,

I own my current laptop for about 4.5 years now. Recently my laptop started shutting down while playing games. So I started monitoring CPU core temperatures and noticed that they are too high (at least to the best of my knowledge). Any suggestion as to what I need to do are appreciated.

Laptop Specs:
Maker n Model: Dell Studio 1747 17".
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 @1.60GHz
Video Card: AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 DDR3 1GB
RAM: 4GB

Temperatures are monitored over 7 days and these are the averages:

Max Min

Idle: 65C 61C
Surfing/Movies: 79C 69C
Gaming: 99C 89C

The device is programmed to shut down at 99C. So I am thinking because of the age. It requires a thermal paste replacement along with my regular cleaning i do. The last time the thermal paste was changed was only an year ago.

Once again thank you for your time and help.

Solution
if the video I linked in my first post is your laptop this should not take more than 10 minutes to reapply paste and clean everything.

amd4lif3

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
this is NOT a joke your laptop is dusty at those temps very dusty what you need to do it get rid of all the dust , if you dont have the know how of opening your laptop and cleaning it then just vacuum the vents especially the one were the fan is this is where alot of dust can form reducing airflow , kinda like asthma for your laptop .

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

I have been using compressed air to clean out fans on gpus and CPUs for decade and I have never had that happen. I have heard of vacuum cleaners building up static electricity and frying components.

Sherlock4869

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

I am guessing you haven't red the part where i said i clean my laptop regularly. Every month actually. That is part of the reason why my laptop works decently even after 4.5 years. My query is about if changing thermal paste will help or if I need to do anything more.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, I did read that part. Clean it how? Dismantle and clean? Or just blow air in through the vents?

New paste may help. Only way to know is to do.

amd4lif3

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

ive used a vacum for 5 years nothing happens

Sherlock4869

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

Dismantle and clean. Use compressed air for inside, wipes for outside, vinegar for screen. Started doing this about 2 years ago. Had a dell support guy teach me in person, made a video for myself (for screw locations etc) and follow it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then I would suspect the thermal paste, as you have commented.