laptop turn off after 10 seconds with a noisy fan

Derrick Josh

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
Hi everyone, I am a Hong Kong student now studying in New Zealand, my sony laptop keep turning off after 10 seconds with a noisy fan, the laptop is 2 years old, warranty expired, I hv cleaned the fan but is still not working, I think it might be the software or hard drive problem, plz help!! Thx

Derrick Josh

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

Thx, but is it possible to overheat within 10 seconds, cuz I can't feel any part of my laptop is hot and even the wind from the fan is cold wind, I am just thinking is it the problem with the hard drive or just the fan, cuz I punch the laptop everytime I lose the game, of course I won't do that anymore, but thx for yr advice.

Turning off fully in 10 seconds would not be from software and is very unlikely it's the hard drive. Those would cause it to hang up during booting not turn off.

Try totally removing the heatsink and applying new heat grease. If that causes the same thing, since you already cleaned out the fan, the motherboard may be bad. I'd also try running it without the battery just to rule out an electronic issue with that.

Sounds like the moterboard will need to be replaced. It's not that hard to break a laptop if it's not taken care of, the case flexes and causes the components inside to flex a bit, including the motherboard and all the little connections to everything else.

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

I had a toshiba that would shut down before it ever got to the windows logo of course the fan didnt work at all

Derrick Josh

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

I can get to the windows logo and even the the option menu, but no matter which option I chose, it turns off when I was typing my password

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

you said the fan was noisy so it might be cooling it some but not enough be like running half speed. Does the noise sound like a squeal like the bearing? Like I said mine the fan didnt work at all so it didnt take long for it to heat up it was probably less than 10 seconds

Derrick Josh

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

It actually sounds like a vacuum cleaner

Teemi

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
the fan and heatsinks might not be making good contact with the cpu causing it to overheat quickly. Have you tried getting some thermal paste and opening up your pc to look at your cpu? I don't think you can fix this without opening your pc.

Derrick Josh

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

Yes I hv opened my laptop to clean my fan and took the motherboard apart to clean everything, I hv looked everything but I am not sure how to define the problem of cpu, thx.