Laptop turns on then shuts off few seconds later. get new laptop??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
The power lights turn on and fans for a couple seconds. no display though and the machines cuts off right away. at most 3 seconds its on for. battery is fully powered. tried plugged to power charger without battery and with battery. Not sure what the problem is though. It is a dell inspiron 13.3 inch laptop.

Sagarh

Estimable
May 6, 2015
Mine powers on after a few attempts but the attempts are getting more and more now. Initially it was one attempt now its 2 or 3. will try removing the memory module hopefully thats the problem. Think it could be the CMOS battery as well coz i have had the laptop for 8 yrs now. That will be 2nd option. Think i will do a full back up first incase it dies.

Verityz

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015
Try taking out all the ram, the hdd, the cmos battery, and the wireless card as well as the battery. Put in just one ram chip and try to POST, if successful, add one item at a time and try to POST after each additional item. My laptop was having this issue and it turned out to be a power supply issue, I could only have one ram chip and the hdd installed to fully boot into the OS, anything more and it would freeze and restart continuously.

topleaft93

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015

i have the same problem whereby my laptop shuts down seconds after its been turn on. I found the solution for it n i want to share it with u. it was BIOS battery problem. Take out your BIOS baterry and try turn it on without it. If things going well then you have to replace/change your BIOS battery. Its work for me.
notes: u can google how it s look like . Just type this "battery cr2032". most of laptop use this type for BIOS but maybe yours are different. u can buy at hardware shop.
Thank you

Alex Segura

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
Happened on my Dell Latitude which is only a few months old.

I replaced the CMOS battery and it came back to life.

I just went down to Batteries + and got a new one. I ripped a piece of electrical tape in half (long ways) so I could wrap it around the rim of the battery to keep the - and + side connectors from touching. I used the other half of torn tape to wrap around the wire connectors to keep them on the battery after ripping them off the old one.

Ruthsuber

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

Chris_61

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
Hahahahhh ok, if the laptop turns off after a few seconds, something is most probably stuck in your fan, and as fast as the heat goes up, the laptop turns off to save the system. Simply blow some air in the opposite direction than the air usually goes

TemporaryUsername

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
If it helps anybody, I had a similar issue with it turning on for a few seconds then cutting off. I swapped out RAM with no luck, but I noticed the length of time it stayed on seemed to change a little and got a little longer, so then I tried moving the RAM to the other free slot and it came on! I didn't try anything else after that, and I started there since I didn't know where the battery was. Hope this helps someone.

jpgfry

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for the tips. You were all helpful. Inspiron 6000 had water spilled on it. It stayed on for a minute after the water was spilt on it. I arrived on the scene - pulled the plug and dried it out - for days. It would turn on for 5 seconds and not post.
After taking the keyboard off, HDD out, RAM out and nearly taking it all apart. I found this site. I checked the light indicators.
I swapped out the RAM with another 1GB stick - no luck. I was sure RAM wasnt it. I read these posts and went and found a 512 MB stick - original RAM. Works like a charm! Thanks so much!

wylli501

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

wylli501

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I had the start problem on my daughter's Toshiba laptop. It works when I remove one of the memory chips but not with both of them in. I doesn't matter which chip I use just which location I set it in. How do I deal with that?

xenophex

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I had this issue with my Acer Predator 17 G9-793. I had updated the BIOS and then started to notice this happening. Since I was also installing other things it was hard to diagnose what really did it. They just happened to release a new bios 1.08 a couple days ago. I installed that and the problem went away. It may help someone else with a similar issue. I was about to start pulling hardware and running memory tests or worse, taking it back.

xenophex

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Hi,
I found that Windows 10 has a "Fast Startup" option enabled under Control Panel "What my buttons do" and "Fast Startup". I unchecked it. Boots up every time now. I applied BIOS Updates, re-did the BCD before finally using Clover Bootloader to isolate whether it was the laptop or the OS. Turns out when I'd pick Windows it would always power off once either with the Bootloader or Windows Manager. This made me find this article http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/ which lead me to finally solving it.

daryll94

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015

hi i got same problem, when i press turn off button in my laptop after few seconds it will turn back on.
and after i log in the focused highlight is on the last icon i got in desktop and when i try to click the very first icon (my computer) it will open the very last one or the last icon that is highlighted..

i suspect some kind of virus every since i install this program DeBloater from this SITE tho i only suspect it is, or maybe not coz i only notice this problem lately.

this might be some laptop problem or i got a virus..

tried safe mode but still same, tried scanning using malwarebytes and kaspersky

Andreas_38

Prominent
May 13, 2017
When a laptop turns on and shuts off after a couple of seconds you have to replace CMOS battery. Find a youtube video on how to disassemble your laptop, and do it yourself. It's easier than you think. It takes me 10 minutes to disassemble my Dell Latitude E5530 v Pro, and 10 minutes to assemble it again. I had the same problem, and I thought my laptop had been bricked. Since I replaced CMOS battery I have never had this problem again.

Frank_007

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Another thing to try, remove heat sink scrape old thermal tape off heatsink and CPU, and replace...get thermal paste if you want...but I use without if both heatsink and CPU clean and flat...old thermal tape deteriorates drastically after many years

henrikmazur1995

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
I did all of the solutions, step-by-step.
When i almost gave up, I decided to disassemble everything I could get away with, according to the warranty.
When I booted after that, it worked.

Someone mentioned something about pressing the keyboard. I think it's a connection problem.

sezerpal

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Tried everything above, then renewed thermal paste on GPU chip. Does not shuts itself in few secs now, mother board is working. But I am not sure i can reassemble the notebook to see full functions. ;) At least this is for record, old notebooks' thermal paste lost effectiveness and GPU make bios shut it self after few seconds.

KayBee01

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Same thing happening to me....new laptop????

btviking41

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
when a laptop shuts down unexpectedly, no need to panic. It happened to me when I purchased an HP laptop for $400 and some change, date was in the later part of the year 2015 brand new, after a year of constant use, out of the blue it just shut down one day about a year after purchase it was then 2016. I tried to power it up again and it shut down immediately. I then realized it is a safety issue in the laptop itself, when the CPU gets to hot (processor chip). I then being with out a laptop fixed it myself. Of course I did not purchase an extended warranty through HP, so I was stuck with a very high quote to send it in for repair , so high of a quote I would be able to buy another brand new laptop for the price they quoted me. I automatically thought of the fan or dirt and dust built up on the fan and in the air ports one port to suck in air the other to expel, everything was clean, keep in mind it was only a year old to have that much dust inside the laptop anyway. The fan was working properly, I then purchase a heat sink for my model laptop, they do fail if not sealed properly the gases are released or it just evaporates over a period of time. The heat sink has plumbing tubing on it to hold contents of some form of gas my guess the same type in air conditioners. I purchased a new heat sink on Ebay for my model of Laptop for $13 and some change. I then purchased thermal paste for $3 . Thermal paste is a thick grease like substance that covers the CPU to assist in the cooling process. After doing this my laptop was resurrected $16 total to repair myself and an hour or so of my time to disassemble my laptop carefully and put it back together. Keep all screws organized take pictures if your going to try repair yourself. I am electronically and mechanically savvy as far as repairing things. It is now Nov. 2017 and my laptop is still working like it should for he money I spent on it. I hope I can help anyone with your issue, thanks for reading.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.