Laptop underperforming. Games won't go any higher then 40fps

Ryo-kun625

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
My ASUS N550JK with a GTX 850M, 8GB RAM, and i7-4700HQ with integrated graphics has been underperforming with Black Ops 3 and Witcher 3 having only an average of 20-25 FPS instead. Initially, I got the games to work at 50-60 FPS with med-high settings. I already changed the global settings to use the Nvidia card and even refreshed my laptop to see if it was some bug. I noticed this sometime after upgrading my laptop's nvidia drivers to 372.54 but still underperformed when I rolled back. Any thoughts about this issue?

[EDIT] I also forgot to mention that the framerates would go back to normal after restarting the laptop but would then drop down to the laggy performance after about playing a minute of Witcher 3 or Black Ops 3.

Solution
Then most likely what has happened is the high temps have caused the gpu to be worn out. This means that the games will result in lower fps. The other reason maybe due to dust if you have not cleaned it and you may need to replace the thermal paste.

Ryo-kun625

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

Max temp was at 68 C after 20 mins into BO3 but this isn't the hottest temp I got. There were times my laptop heated more when it was still functioning properly.

Then most likely what has happened is the high temps have caused the gpu to be worn out. This means that the games will result in lower fps. The other reason maybe due to dust if you have not cleaned it and you may need to replace the thermal paste.

Solution

Ryo-kun625

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Sorry for the late reply. I think I'll try having the laptop cleaned, then. Although a few days back my laptop seemed to perform better. It would go past 60fps for a straight 20 mins with minimal stutter then would drop to 30fps until sometime after I would restart my laptop. Kinda have hope that it's all because my PC's dirty inside. Thank you very much.