Laptop underperforming in bf3 when plugged in.

Kevocalypse

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
For some reason when ever I play BF3 when plugged in my cpu speed drops to 1.8 from 2.8. This causes the game to run at 25-30 fps in multiplayer which isn't very smooth. When I unplug however my cpu goes back to 2.8 and my fps goes up to 45-50 and sometimes even 60 in multiplayer. However it randomly drops to 9-12 fps every couple of seconds and skyrockets back up which makes it unplayable. This doesn't really make much sense. My temps aren't high and I'm running on high performance mode for both plugged and unplugged.
CPU: A8-5557m
GPU: 8750m w/ 2gb of vram
8 gb ram
Acer Aspire v5 552g-8632

Solution
I had the same problem... but I solved it!!! First open the power settings, then click "change plan settings" beside the "balanced (recommended)" option. Then click "change advanced power settings" on the screen that appears. In the dialog box, scroll down and expand "Multimedia settings". Then expand "when playing video" and then change the "plugged in" option to balanced.

Hope that helps. I was hit and trying and this worked for me! :)
And I have the same laptop as you!

Kevocalypse

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

The thing is, when on battery I get random drops, ill post avid soon

answergiver01

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
I had the same problem... but I solved it!!! First open the power settings, then click "change plan settings" beside the "balanced (recommended)" option. Then click "change advanced power settings" on the screen that appears. In the dialog box, scroll down and expand "Multimedia settings". Then expand "when playing video" and then change the "plugged in" option to balanced.

Hope that helps. I was hit and trying and this worked for me! :)
And I have the same laptop as you!

Solution