Laptop upgrades / Standard spec ?

Sep 16, 2018
Hi there, I have recently been given a laptop from my father as he got a new one. Going with the sticker on the underside of the laptop its a - Model : ASUS PRO5KF MB Ver : P52F. Unfortunately the laptop seems to quite slow and i was wondering if there were any hardware upgrades i could carry out. I'm struggling to find the standard specifications anywhere online.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Blair.

Solution
Electronic Manual for the Pro5KF is available from Asus here:

https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/Pro5KF/HelpDesk_Manual/

Hardware upgrades on most laptops is usually limited to RAM & HDD --- so for better performance you could install more RAM & replace the HDD with an SSD.

Another factor affecting performance is the amount of "bloatware" that's typically preinstalled so you may want to investigate that and uninstall what you don't need - - as well as keeping startup items under tight control, they eat up memory so there's less for Windows & applications to use.

You might also want to consider performing a factory recovery if laptop is full of years of apps & data you will never use. That will give it a new lease of life.
Electronic Manual for the Pro5KF is available from Asus here:

https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/Pro5KF/HelpDesk_Manual/

Hardware upgrades on most laptops is usually limited to RAM & HDD --- so for better performance you could install more RAM & replace the HDD with an SSD.

Another factor affecting performance is the amount of "bloatware" that's typically preinstalled so you may want to investigate that and uninstall what you don't need - - as well as keeping startup items under tight control, they eat up memory so there's less for Windows & applications to use.

You might also want to consider performing a factory recovery if laptop is full of years of apps & data you will never use. That will give it a new lease of life.

Solution

jojesa

Distinguished

That laptop is 8-9 years old, so take in consideration that spending on upgrades might not get you much speed.
That laptop might had come with a 320GB 5400RPM hard drive and 2-4GB of DDR3 800/1066 RAM (upgradeable to 8GB)

How much RAM does it has?
You could use Crucial System Scanner to check how much RAM your laptop supports.

The first thing I would consider is replacing the slow HDD with a SSD (240GB SSD).

geofelt

Distinguished
Replacing the hard drive with a ssd will be magical.
I have done this on every laptop I own, including some very old ones.
buy a 240gb Samsung evo and use their ssd migration app to move your C drive to the new ssd.
You may need a $10 usb to sata adapter cable to do the copy.
Google your laptop and ssd replacement to get a tutorial.

If the laptop only has 2gb of ram, you need more. 4gb is ok for now.
CPU-Z will tell you what you have in detail.
Buy an upgrade with the same specs.

Sep 16, 2018
Hi guys, Thanks very much for the feedback ive managed to find out some specs, i currently have 250Gb HDD and 2/4 Gb RAM which is expandable to 8 according to ASUS website.
I also read online somewhere about changing the WiFi unit or something to support 5GHz WiFi ? Not really sure about that or if that would help, if either of you could give me some advice on that if its worth while that would be great. I checked my router and its 5GHz ready and im getting 65 Mbs, i wouldnt like to do all this and my WiFi lets me down lol.

So far after your feedback looking to -
Factory setting reboot
Replace 250Gb HDD with Samsung Evo 860 500Gb SSD
Replace DDR3 2x1/2 Gb RAM with DDR3 2x4 Gb RAM
Possibly do something with WiFi hardare if benificial.

Again thanks very much guy’s!, Blair