Jun 23, 2014
Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770m
CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM

Temps:
Idle = 50-55 degrees celcius
medium usuage = 70-75 degrees celcius
heavy usuage = 90-95 degrees celcius

I bought my HP dv6-6195ca during mid summer 2011 and it idles around 55 degrees celsius.and peaks at a maximum of 95 degrees when gaming or under heavy load. For medium usage the temperature hovers around 70-75 degrees celsius. I've also noticed that the fan is constantly on, operating around 30% and reaches 100% around 85 degrees celcius and has been like this for the past half year. What worries me is that when the fan reaches 100%, only a small amount of hot air comes out and to actually feel the heat, I would need to rest my hand on the vent itself and feel the heat radiating off the heat sink. The laptop is burning hot where the gpu/cpu is located underneath which seems disturbing as I've already disassembled the laptop and blew out dust from the fan and around the fan itself.

The main causes that i could think of is either the thermal paste has all dried up or the fan is faulty and the air is being blocked from exiting the laptop. What do you think is the issue?

Not sure this will solve the issue but have you tried a cooling pad or a laptop stand that that elevates the laptop off of the desk, table, etc.? Is the fan connected in such a way that it could be easily replaced? I see you have already cleaned the dust from the fan and around the fan. Have you blown out the exhaust port?

PsycoCollie

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
I have an hp dv6 as well. I believe mine is the 2010 version, but im not sure. from my experience, cooling pads don't help much, but it dos help some. Maybe clean out the vents with compressed air. if you dont want to do it yourself, you can probabally take it to places like staples or bestbuy and they will do it. That's the only things i can think off the top of my head you do.

Infiverse

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014

I currently have a DIY cooling solultion where the battery is removed and I placed a metal box underneath the laptop where the battery was located. This allows the laptop to be elevated around 25 degrees with the maximum clearance being 1 inch off the ground. Keep in mind that this method was significantly helpful however the temperature i mentioned in my OP was due to this. If the battery is still in the laptop and is flat on the table, temperatures usually are +5-10 degrees above what i mentioned in my original post. Nonetheless, I'll try using a cooling pad.

I'll try using a compressed air can as well to see if any large debris is stuck in the heatsink/fan as I just used my mouth to blow out any dust.

Here is a picture I took while disassembling my laptop. As you can see the fan is situated at the top left corner and they're two vents. One to the left of the fan and the other above the fan; under the hp speaker bar.
5964b99336.jpg

yinz

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I have a HP dv6 also.

Slightly older model. But mine also over heats like hell. The fan goes crazy and is ridiculously warm. I'm sure I read somewhere that the cooling on this range of HP laptops is just terrible. I'll try and find the source.

My HP is now just dying, replacing it with something more reliable. No more HP for me

Infiverse

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
I took apart the laptop again, but this time I took apart the fan. To my surprise (even using compressed air) there was a large amount of dust collected right outside the vent. The reason why it didn't come out was it had solidified into a semi-permeable dust wall approximately 4-5 mm thick.

After putting my laptop back and booting the computer, i noticed right away that the fan vent was working again and that hot air was coming out.

New temperatures:
Idle: 38-42 °C
medium usage: 50-55 °C
heavy usage: 60-70 °C

Extremely happy now that temps have dropped back to the same as when i bought it. ^^
I'll still use a laptop cooler so temps can drop another 5°C.

Glad to hear you figured it out. Thank you for letting us know.