Laptop with single HDMI port - VR and second monitor splitter

Bubunya

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
G'day guys.
So what I have here - laptop with single HDMI port (Dell 7567 w/1050), using for external monitor for my kid to play full screen games. And now I brought her Dell VRP100 to play around and education.
VR set works without any problems so far.
Problem is a single HDMI port.
In order to use VR set I have to disconnect external monitor, restart laptop to make sure everything will work properly and then connect VR set. Not to mention while second monitor disconnected all rainmeter skins and taskbar are mess up, but that's the different problem.

So question - is it any possible way to use some kind of splitter to be able to keep external monitor connected all the time and VR set connected as needed without disconnecting external monitor and loose/mess up all settings?

Thanks in advance.

A splitter won't work since the VR headset takes a 3D HDMI signal while the external monitor does not.

You want some sort of HDMI switch - something that'll let you select which output device should receive the signal with the push of a button, without having to plug/unplug cables. The switch will have to support 3D HDMI to work the VR headset. And the headset requires HDMI 2.0, the switch will have to support 3D HDMI 2.0. So it could end up being rather expensive.

Something like this, except it has a terrible Fakespot report (indicating many of the reviews are possibly fake):

https://www.amazon.com/Jabor-Bi-Directional-Switcher-Through-Support/dp/B071CJWSPF
https://www.fakespot.com/product/hdmi-2-0-switch-jabor-2x1-or-1x2-hdmi-bi-directional-switcher-with-hdcp-pass-through-support-uhd-4kx2k-60hz-3d

I can't find anything on Amazon with 4+ star ratings with a decent Fakespot report. So I'd suggest buying from a store which lets you return it for a full refund if it doesn't work.

Bubunya

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Sorry for late response.
I did purchased one of this switches with fair good rating on fakespot.
Somehow it works, but not fully the way I did expected.

I did connected both monitor and VR set. It WILL work to switch between then for as long as USB cord from VR set is NOT connected to laptop. As soon as it connected there is no chance to switch back to monitor, signal just doesn't go thru switcher.
So yes, it can be use to save HDMI port on laptop from being plugged/unplugged all the time.

I guess to make it work without any problems I'll need powered switch or in my case it doesn't matter and connected USB WILL bring same problem?
Thanks!