Laptop Won't Start Blinking Led's

Stronk

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
I have this old Laptop that i started using recently worked fine (this one heats so much and i mean up to 95%) until today when it fails booting(well sometimes after a couple of tried it starts sometimes it takes hours).

The laptop starts for like 3-4 seconds nothing appears on the screen,the fan stops working and after a sec i hear a beep and everything turns OFF.

I notice that when i plug the charger and start it caps and scroll lock is always turned on and num lock flashes 22 times until it stays turned on.What does the flashing num lock mean in dell code and how do i fix it.

Solution
Hi Stonk

Apologies for the delayed response. As the issue seems intermittent & also the Caps lock flashing when you tried the Fn + Power is normally a memory related issue. As you had mentioned earlier that you have tried most of things, if you have already tried reseating the memory modules, Switching the slots or trying with individual memory - If the problem is still persists, its more likely to be due to a failing system board.

http://bit.ly/1bLxzgy

HarishKAtDell

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hi Stronk,
LED codes are specific to system models at times (Need info in system model), But normally the code on your PC is related to the wireless card. Heat is one of the main reasons for components to fail. Would advise you to consider cleaning the fan vents, replace the heatsink (If required) if the problem still persist- Use a cooling PAD.

Stronk

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

hi i have an old Dell Precision M4400 i've done most of those thing tried holding the power up button for 30 sec with no battery or charger.I've read a lot of thing the wireless thing is something new do you think removing that would help?

HarishKAtDell

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hi Stonk

Check the link below for the manual- that can help you in re seating components. Unable to get more info from the LED error codes for this PC. The system also includes Beep codes, which can be triggered by holding the Fn button and turn the PC on with teh power button. You will have beep codes in sets of 3, with a small interval between them ( Ex- 1-4-1 ). Kindly share that info.

Stronk

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

I think you forgot to post the link but anyways it goes like this:
It only happens when i use the charger not on battery(when the charger is unplugged )all that happens is
power LED lights for like 3 seconds then it turns off.
the battery LED also lights for like a split second (if the laptop is turned on that one stays lighten because it shows the battery usage right..)
sometimes if i double click the power button the fan starts spinning.

When the charger is plugged then the caps and scroll lock are lightened all the time meanwhile the NUM lock flashes for like 22 times before its stays lighten for eternity(well unless i push the power button or remove the charger).
P.S:
Just to be clear i'm writing from that laptop right now because after a few tries it eventually turns on.Sometimes it takes 1 try sometimes half an hour....

About the Fn thing. i tried once it did nothing the system didnt turn on and i heard nothing that i dont usually hear.
I tried the second time hold Fn push the power button the system turned on and it took a while at the boot loading screen( where the CAPS LOCK was blinking during the whole time like 40 times or more) and then a Pre Boot Ststem Assesment started that resulted in "No problems were detected"
THis is the response i got in DELL website for the same issue:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19518462/20421060.aspx#20421060

HarishKAtDell

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hi Stonk

Apologies for the delayed response. As the issue seems intermittent & also the Caps lock flashing when you tried the Fn + Power is normally a memory related issue. As you had mentioned earlier that you have tried most of things, if you have already tried reseating the memory modules, Switching the slots or trying with individual memory - If the problem is still persists, its more likely to be due to a failing system board.

http://bit.ly/1bLxzgy

Solution

Stronk

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

yeah its probably not the RAM i tried every combiantion possible.I read a lot of threads and its unlikely to be solved without replacing the motherboard.
Thanks for the help.