Laptop's making a weird sound

Silopjah

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Hi! I've had my laptop for about a year now, and for quite a while (maybe since I got it, I can't remember) it's been making a sort of clunking noise. I've read on internet that if it sounds like that the hard drive's probably dying, but it's been like this for a very long time and nothing has happened really, it's just that it seems that it's damaging the laptop.
The sound occurs when for example: starting the laptop, opening Media Player (opening vlc doesn't generate the sound), opening Steam and sometimes when installing stuff.[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4FLBju_mak&ab_channel=Silopjah"][/video]

Solution
According to the S.M.A.R.T. results, the HDD should be fine. Though, sometimes mechanical issues could not be detected by the tests. Just attach the drive to another system, access it and see whether it will make the same clunking sound.
Just keep in mind that even if your drive is completely healthy, it is always a good idea to keep your most important data on at least two storage devices. :)

D_Know_WD

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Silopjah,

As the laptop is making weird noises, and if it is still under warranty, then I guess it may be a good idea to contact the manufacturer.
Apart from that, you can test the drive with a brand specific testing software(or a third party one). The results should provide a S.M.A.R.T. report as well as an overall health status grade. In case there is something wrong with the drive, you need to backup the data as soon as possible.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Silopjah

Estimable
May 15, 2015

Hi and thanks for the reply! I used HD Tune's Error Scan and found that no blocks were damaged. Does it mean my laptop's fine or is there more I should scan?

D_Know_WD

Estimable
What does the other S.M.A.R.T. parameters show? Is there something abnormal? It may be a good idea to post a screenshot.
Keep in mind that the best way to see whether the HDD is making this sound is to just attach it to another system(desktop pc let's say) and access it. In case it clicks, you need to get another drive.

D_Know_WD

Silopjah

Estimable
May 15, 2015

Here's a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7de92e8468870df732f49a353bb56f5f
It seems everything is alright. Do I still need to worry?

D_Know_WD

Estimable
According to the S.M.A.R.T. results, the HDD should be fine. Though, sometimes mechanical issues could not be detected by the tests. Just attach the drive to another system, access it and see whether it will make the same clunking sound.
Just keep in mind that even if your drive is completely healthy, it is always a good idea to keep your most important data on at least two storage devices. :)

D_Know_WD

Solution

Silopjah

Estimable
May 15, 2015

Okay, that's relieving. I'll try attaching it to another system. Thanks for the help! :D