Solved! Laptops too weak for 1080p

tsundereAkitaki

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Hi,

Possible long post. tl,dr below :)

So, It seems every laptop under 1000 is too weak to handle 1080p gaming. I'm the owner of a 960M laptop and the chip can barely hold its own when running recent games at medium low settings: R6 Siege, Black desert Dark Souls 3 and so on...

To retain 60 fps, I'm forced to tweak down graphics quality or resolution. This is just my opinion, but I absolutely despise playing on low settings. It's just ... bad. So quite often I lower my resolution to 1440x900 and in extreme cases 1366x768.

Really, if one truly desires the mobility of 'gaming' laptops, I'd suggest him to pay for a good one or save his money. This all got me an idea since I've already bought a very average one: Would plugging mine to a 720p monitor to achieve stable 60fps be a good idea?

960m 2gb too weak to handle 1080p. Is using a 720p monitor instead of the laptop monitor a good idea?

Thank you

Solution
Playing games on an external 720p monitor is no different than playing games using the laptop's screen and simply lowering the game's resolution to 720p. The performance will be the same as long as the desktop is cloned on the external monitor. If the external monitor was setup as an extended desktop, then performance will be a little lower because the GTX 960m needs to render what is being displayed on the laptop's screen even if it is just a static desktop background, and the game being rendered on the external monitor.
Playing games on an external 720p monitor is no different than playing games using the laptop's screen and simply lowering the game's resolution to 720p. The performance will be the same as long as the desktop is cloned on the external monitor. If the external monitor was setup as an extended desktop, then performance will be a little lower because the GTX 960m needs to render what is being displayed on the laptop's screen even if it is just a static desktop background, and the game being rendered on the external monitor.

Solution

tsundereAkitaki

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for your answers guys!!

@jaguarskx I appreciate your infos. I have a spare monitor and I was thinking about using it as a "main" or rather clone of my Laptop's display. I don't mind playing on ower resolutions, but 720p on a 1080p display is just way too much jaggies for me even with the cheap man's AA, aka FXAA, enabled.