latitude cpu fail?

DeviantX Group

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
So I have a Dell Latitude D630 that started with 1 GB (2x512mb) RAM that I upgraded to 4 GB and saw major performance. But the the Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GhZ processor isn't cutting it for me. I acquired an intel Core 2 Duo 2.22 GhZ processor and the chip seats smoothly and normally into the socket. A lot of sources say that the computer will definitely support the new processor. When I go to power it on, the on status button is alive for 3 seconds and then nothing. The cooling fan and heatsink don't even start when I press the on button. Current BIOS is A19 and computer itself rims great. But sorta bummed this processor isn't running although it shod. Computer runs fine with older processor but idk any ideas?

homerslmpson

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Sounds like it "should" work but clearly isn't.
1.PNG

When you replaced the old CPU, did you reapply the thermal compound, etc?
Maybe you missed a cable/plug when putting everything back together?
If all else fails, you can put the old CPU back in to make sure everything works like it should.
If you can't get the laptop to boot with the old CPU, at least you know the problem isn't with the CPU.

DeviantX Group

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

You could be right about the thermal paste. Both cores are 35W so no new heatsink needed. Maybe socket P vs. Socket L and computer boots and runs fine on old CPU. New CPU won't eve start BIOS or preboot components