Leak: Google's Nexus 7 Tablet to Launch at $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
They need to also make a Nexus 10, with a screen to match the Asus TF700 and all the bells and whistles. Probably it's in the works, but waiting to see how this one will sell (not a great idea because the target customers for these 2 models are different, hence the numbers from one mean nothing for the other). This one is aimed squarely at Amazon's kindle and Nook Color. The 10 inch would be aimed at the current leaders, Acer, Galaxy, etc.
Of course, there is the possibility they will ignore the upper strata and decide to stick with a mid-low end device.
Damn, I miss the good old days when the Nexus One was the phone to get; it's specs were still high end almost 1 year after launch, and the rest of the pack was trying to catch up. Only the lack of advertising and the somewhat poor choice of radios (3G T-mobile only bands here in US for so many months? Really?) kept hat device in relative darkness.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Damn, I miss the good old days when the Nexus One was the phone to get; it's specs were still high end almost 1 year after launch, and the rest of the pack was trying to catch up. Only the lack of advertising and the somewhat poor choice of radios (3G T-mobile only bands here in US for so many months? Really?) kept hat device in relative darkness.[/citation]

I miss my Nexus One so much. That screen was a nightmare towards the end but the old girl put up a tremendous fight. You're right, it was a solid phone for a very long time. Not like now, when they're out of date before they hit shelves. Sigh.

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Looks pretty sleek actually. But do we have any idea as to what kind of connectivity this thing will have? It'll need at least a MHL enabled micro USB port along with a micro-sd slot. If it has those, then it's a winner in my book, especially with regular updates straight from Google.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
No, it's impossible to sell a Tegra 3 tablet for so little money. Microsoft Surface RT with Tegra 3 and a larger screen will be $500-600! And it won't have any apps to begin with, either. This has to be a scam, I guess we'll find out in a couple of days...

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i really doubt it will have such a low price tag if it ever comes out. those specs are worthy of a $500 price tag. did the rumor mention if the space is upgradable? this sounds like a dumb question, but the reason Im asking is because the (unlocked) galaxy nexus doesnt have an upgrade feature.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]No, it's impossible to sell a Tegra 3 tablet for so little money. Microsoft Surface RT with Tegra 3 and a larger screen will be $500-600! And it won't have any apps to begin with, either. This has to be a scam, I guess we'll find out in a couple of days...[/citation]

It isn't impossible at all, this isn't a "premium" tablet if you compare to the rest of the market.
Build Quality and feature set is probably lacking, such as no SD card slot, no HDMI out etc..

It is unknown at this point but hey, still a pretty damn good deal.

G

Recent Chinese Tablet have already far lower price with very good specs nowadays:
- Ramos w17pro : ICS 4.03 + 7' TFT + fast doublecore proc. + double core Mali400 + 1 GB + 16 GB + usb otg + sd + front cam.
for < $130 (Ainol Elf II adds HDMI out ; Ainol Aurora II has IPS screen!)
- Cube u30GT : ICS 4.0.4 + 10'1 IPS + very fast doublecore proc. (very close to Tegra 3 in bench) + quadcore Mali400 + 1 GB 16 GB + usb otg + BT + SD + dual cams + 7200 mah battery (only lacks true gps) + very good build quality < $230

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]No, it's impossible to sell a Tegra 3 tablet for so little money. Microsoft Surface RT with Tegra 3 and a larger screen will be $500-600! And it won't have any apps to begin with, either. This has to be a scam, I guess we'll find out in a couple of days...[/citation]

I wouldn't call it a scam, remember this is a leak not a official release so the information here may be wrong. Hell, the device may not even exist but I think we all know better than that.

If the pricing and specs are correct then I will be getting one. I was always of the belief that this is where pricing for these types of devices should be as they are normally secondary devices. Call me crazy, I just never got the idea of paying 700-800 for a decent laptop then paying another 400-600 for a tablet.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Pricing isn't suprising, no fancy features, a 1.2mp camera (newer tablets are hitting 8mp), no fancy connectivity either.

But really, I've never taken pictures with my tablet, except to test out how they would look, SD card slot is nice, but I could probably live without it if I had the 16gb tablet, media streaming works fine on android devices.

HDMI, cool feature, but again a feature that is probably used by less than 5% of users.

if they can cut out 400$ from the tablet cost with the features mentioned above, I'd say its a fair trade. I personally like the 10" screen, but 7" is more than adequate for daily use.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Pricing isn't suprising, no fancy features, a 1.2mp camera (newer tablets are hitting 8mp), no fancy connectivity either.But really, I've never taken pictures with my tablet, except to test out how they would look, SD card slot is nice, but I could probably live without it if I had the 16gb tablet, media streaming works fine on android devices.HDMI, cool feature, but again a feature that is probably used by less than 5% of users.if they can cut out 400$ from the tablet cost with the features mentioned above, I'd say its a fair trade. I personally like the 10" screen, but 7" is more than adequate for daily use.[/citation]
1.2mp front facing camera is very common in modern phones. 8mp back/main camera is common in most phones. this article mentioned the front facing camera, but not the main camera which it obviously will have.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't whole idea from the start too sell it at $199? I'm shure thats what I read when they announced it... They wanted to make a premium tablet for the price of a Kindle Fire

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]neon871[/nom]Is it going to have Tegra 3 or not Tom get your story straighthttp://www.tomsguide.com/us/Asus-G [...] 14487.html[/citation]

that's from 3 months ago, you can't be serious... ¬¬

Status
Not open for further replies.