Leaked U.S. Docs Link Google Attack to China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Man, stuff like this is great. Im glad someone is fighting for our right to know information. I hope the people who run the site don't get targeted.

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Well, yes, they could be considered as such, but when this information leaks corporate/government blackmail, bullying etc, the public have a right to know. Consumer (and proletariat) is king but consumer can easily be held in the dark.

The release of this information is a great risk but it also forces those who do wrong to be held accountable, rather than making a bigger rug to sweep bad secrets under.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The people have a right to know BUT if it is confidential people do not have the right to know!
How can you win a card game if some little ferret tells everyone what you have?

Life is a game but you only get one shot to win.

treefrog07

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
You should learn a little bit about security classifications before you get your shorts in knots about "your right to know." You not only do not have a right to know, but your knowing could get people serving you and this country killed - dead, because they trusted people who "needed to know" and to keep the information from the public domain, and they did not. What is bar-blather and funny, or even silly to you, can carry grave consequences to nations, and to the people who provided the info. Sometimes just knowing the info is public, can identify the person who delivered it. I hope the US gov't prosecutes the leaker to the fullest extent of the law - life is not too long to serve in prison for this.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
The balance between openness and security is tough. It seems that only the people of Wikileaks decide what is appropriate to be released to the public - but then that's another form of discretion. What if the information leaked happens to greatly affect the security if a group of people, or even our country? I'm sure we should know a lot more than we do, but surely not all of it... tough debate.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Albyint[/nom]Man, stuff like this is great. Im glad someone is fighting for our right to know information. I hope the people who run the site don't get targeted.[/citation]
Right to know information? Where is that in the constitution?
Your wish to be able to see every government operation at a whim will get public servants killed. If you don't like what the government is doing, vote for different people; otherwise be prudent enough to not support things like this because once information like this is in the public, it falls into both the right and wrong hands.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
"While the United States began sticking its nose into the dispute between North and South Korea using the USS George Washington..."

Excuse me? Am I reading that right? The U.S. is sticking its nose into the Korean dispute? How about the United States is still at war with North Korea with only a 57 year old agreement that has stopped full scale war. I'd say that makes it our business as well, not to mention that thousands of US soldiers and marines are stationed in South Korea, any one of whom could have been killed last week had those shells landed somewhere else.

So how about you stick with the facts instead of interjecting your own opinions into the article, mkay?

thirdshop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]"While the United States began sticking its nose into the dispute between North and South Korea using the USS George Washington..."

Seriously agree with the previous post about this. If you don't know WTF you are talking about Parrish than keep your opinion to yourself, stick with the tech stuff because you knowledge of history seems to be sadly lacking.

bublack33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Whoever says this is justified is a complete idiot. If you do think so, ask yourself how many of those files have you viewed. How many files changed your life? Did any of them completely change the way you look at the government even? I would bet a year's salary that every other country has hired 100's of people to pick through those files. So ask yourself.... Is it better that you didn't know that China tried to hack Google or is it better that the entire world knows 270,000 classified US documents?

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
No matter how many top secret documents reach the media, there will always be thousands more which were already destroyed or are still kept from the public.
I think that people should be allowed to know about everything they choose ... and governments should try harder to avoid/stop secret wrong-doings in the future.
Classifying information as top secret only leads to an absurd situation where outlaws and corrupt politicians benefit from knowing the information, while honest tax-paying citizens that would never use the information against anyone, are permanently lied to by the authorities. Aren't we past the "ignorance is bliss" motto yet?

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
This only confirms that what i've been seeing in the news for years has been exactly what I thought it was - bullshit. The government and it's puppets are simply here to take as much money as they can and make it out alive. It's only high stakes poker, except the only people who get hurt are the honest citizens trying to survive out in a world like this. Born and raised in the US, and I hate the government and what the US has become. God be with the soldiers out there getting shot for me, but to hell and back with the government and everyone in it for what they've done.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Latest WikiLeaks release does not reveal anything new. US is spying on everyone, working in its own interest, brokers deals behind backs, breaks international law on multiple occasions, which part of all this is surprising? That’s how politics work and everyone involved is well aware. There is a country that would do something otherwise? Now public knows small amount of what every diplomat already does, big deal?
I'm sure there is confidential information in Wiki documents, but it has not been released to a public. Only selected few news agencies posses complete documents and details are not revealed. There are no names or references to specific individuals that would create security risk.
What this article does not mention is that Iran neighbors are not happy and ready to support US actions and that China wants to see unified Korea. I think those two are much more important than revelation of self centered goal pursued by US and immoral practices used to achieve them.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]accolite[/nom]The people have a right to know BUT if it is confidential people do not have the right to know!How can you win a card game if some little ferret tells everyone what you have?Life is a game but you only get one shot to win.[/citation]
You have a point here, but see if you cheat at that card game to win i'm pretty sure they're kill your ass for doing it once they know, and mind you, you deserve it.
Same with this if the nations would all be good people doing good things we would all go omg don't leak people will get hurt or something, but documents showing GENOCIDE are you insane? Patriotism and religion are the source of human suffering since the begining of time, don't you tell me about them.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I think this will put a lot of egg over a lot of people's faces. In the end it's good that this happened regardless of what people think their right to information is. It will perhaps show the world governments that they're not as invincible as they think. The public will always have the last say.

taurine

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
If anyone thinks that all of this is something only the US does then your so delusional its pathetic. Everyone spies on everyone, even our allies spy on us, Israel has been caught spying on us and we're their biggest ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.