Solved! LED Strip lights hardwired?

freakinhobo

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
We have a media room with a trey for rope lights. We want to put in LED strip lights but the wire up there is a standard 12/2 110v wife. Most the kits come for computers or with a plug.. Is there a way or a kit out there that allows you to wire them direct?

Solution
I would splice a new receptacle box from that circuit (assuming the circuit is not filled with the max allowable boxes) at a location that makes sense for where you are installing it (I'm not a big fan of the long term use of extension cords). I think you'll find that the remote is 'line of sight' so factor that into the location of the receptacle box.
Personally, I would install the lighting first, getting it exactly the way I wanted it (using an extension cord to test it). Once that was done - I'd install the receptacle box to where it wanted to plug in - does that make sense?

As to which system - that's up to you - they both have reviews - one talks about off colors - that would annoy me.

robert600

Distinguished
"the wire up there is a standard 12/2 110v wife"

I'm assuming the last word should be wire? If so, could you not get the one with a plug, cut the plug off and splice into the12/2. If you really meant wife though ... this might not be the best idea lol.

robert600

Distinguished
The other way to do it would be to splice in a receptacle and simply plug the led strip in.

Given that the wire is 12/2 rather than 14/2 - it's probably fused at 20 amps rather than at the more standard 15 amps for a lighting circuit - you should check to see what the wire is feeding - some 20 amp circuits don't allow you to add anything (depending on what it is feeding) ... code varies depending on where you live.

robert600

Distinguished
I was thinking that if that circuit was 20 amp and you decided to splice into it. You could be extra safe and splice the below between the black wire of the the 12/2 and one of the feed wires (after you cut the plug off). Any sustained draw of the led strip beyond 7 amps would blow the fuse.

https://www.amazon.com/MonkeyJack-Holder-Inline-6X30mm-Pre-wired/dp/B0794SLF19/ref=sr_1_24?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1522263645&sr=1-24&keywords=glass+fuse+holder
I know there's 5 and you only need 1 but I couldn't find a single. I like this one because the wire leads are 14 awg.

https://www.amazon.com/COOPER-BUSSMANN-BP-AGX-7X5-Xmas-Fuse/dp/B000GATRAS/ref=sr_1_30?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1522263022&sr=1-30&keywords=glass+fuses+7+amp

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

He said " Most the kits come for computers or with a plug" he didnt say what kind of plug, but unless the strip comes with a converter inside of it you will blow the strip up if you plug it directly into a wall outlet. LED's run off DC voltage so if you start with DC voltage (computer) your fine. If you start with AC voltage you ave to have a converter to turn it into DC voltage. LED bulbs that screw into a socket have a small converter in the base of the bulb to go from AC to DC for the led to work.

The one i linked comes with the wall brick to convert AC to DC and a control box to change the color of the strip and dim the lights.

robert600

Distinguished
' he didnt say what kind of plug'

Yes ... quite true. I saw plug an inferred wall plug. Something like this:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hometrends-18-clear-rope-light/6000196488933

I have something similar running down the top of each side wall (in a shaded valence type thing) of my 'theater' ... each is plugged directly into a switched receptacles with the switches very convenient to my viewing position - it's the only light I have on when projecting a movie ... works very well.

So to the original poster ... if by plug you meant something other than wall plug well ... you've been talking apples and I've been talking oranges. Maybe a link or pic to what you are thinking of getting would be a good idea.

freakinhobo

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
The wire is bare wire same as any light receptacle. It's wired to a switch on the wall along with the fan and can lights. So it should be on the same circuit as everything in that room.. This is new construction. I checked ant its 12/2 to a 20 amp breaker. So how do I use something like this for that?

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-600leds-Flexible-Changing-Controller/dp/B01IQOV13G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1522277893&sr=8-8&keywords=led+strip+lighting

or should I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/SuperonlineMall-110-120V-Flexible-Waterproof-Lights/dp/B019I3IIDA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1522278033&sr=8-13&keywords=led+strip+lighting+110v

robert600

Distinguished
I would splice a new receptacle box from that circuit (assuming the circuit is not filled with the max allowable boxes) at a location that makes sense for where you are installing it (I'm not a big fan of the long term use of extension cords). I think you'll find that the remote is 'line of sight' so factor that into the location of the receptacle box.
Personally, I would install the lighting first, getting it exactly the way I wanted it (using an extension cord to test it). Once that was done - I'd install the receptacle box to where it wanted to plug in - does that make sense?

As to which system - that's up to you - they both have reviews - one talks about off colors - that would annoy me.

Solution