Left Click stops responding HP dv7t-7000

kingofspades

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I'm a Tech, and have been doing repairs for over ten years; This is just a strange one, on my personal laptop. I wanted to get some opinions from others.

My left click intermittently stops working about once per day. I can still use the track pad, and right click but left click stops (along with tapping).

This does not happen with a particular program, this happens at random times. It leaves nothing in the event log, no crash reports. I've reloaded the OS once and problem remained on 'clean' 7 install, also happens in safe mode. I've upgraded and downgraded synaptics drivers. I've tried disabling and enabling all mouse features.

This is a huge pain because I can not just recreate the problem, I have to continue using the laptop until it happens (which can be 6-8 hours).

I was wondering if anyone has seen a similar issue? I'm guessing it's hardware related.

Another note, after it stops working, I can use the keyboard to get into the mouse options, device settings, and reset device (then it starts working).

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I have the same issue with my DV7T-7000 (quad edition.) I'm assuming it's a driver issue. Hopefully synaptics will release an update.

Does anyone know of any trackpads that fit the same form factor, so that I could replace this one?

The left mouse-click problem is not the only issue - do not buy this laptop model if you plan on playing video games or using CAD software. The pad is clearly very low quality, and makes it impossible to do anything in a 3D environment.

The keyboard is also not top-notch, but that's another issue. I suppose HP opted to save $10 on the cost of manufacturing this $1000+ piece of equipment, and that decision nearly renders it unusable. Good job HP, I don't plan on buying another of your products.

(Don't get me started on the built-in obsolescence that is so apparent when you open it up.)

steady-j

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Yes I have the exact same problem on a DV7-7104ea. The left click stops working at random intervals, sometime several times a day, sometimes not for a week. Sometimes it even stops in the state of the button being depressed, e.g during a drag or scroll operation. It's not the button, its the driver, because double-tap is affected equally.

I have even gone as far as creating a shortcut to the mouse settings in my start menu so I can just hit Start and type "mouse" to get it up, then use tab and arrows to get to the "reset device" button

r1chardm

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
This does appear to be a driver issue to me. I don't like rebooting my system so what I do is when this happens (and it seems to be rare and difficult to reproduces) it may be to do static electricity but I have not been able to prove that yet. I has not happened for a while but if memory serves me, I click on the pad on the top left corner of the of the pad (there is a little imprinted white square box in the location with an orange LED next to it). This disables and enables the pad, it will show on the screen a pad and a human hand with pointed finger with a red line through it like a circle with a red line through it (and the orange LED will be on to show it is disabled). I then use the ALT and Tab Keys together to change from my open browser window or program to the background desktop screen press and hold ALT and click on the TAB keyboard key. Then re-enable the touchpad clicking on the top left hand corner (sometimes the touchpad requires several presses to turn it on or off in the correct location and the orange LED will turn off when the pad is enabled again). When it is back on I check and see if it works. If it doesn't, I repeat the process but usually it works first time. Hopefully this work around works for you until they come up with a new driver.